'He did it again, on the train. He was really mean about Ron and Hagrid. He said I'd go the same way as my parents...' Poor Harry looked very upset and Minerva was understandably angry too.

'You have to try and put it to one side. Don't let him rile you. Go and enjoy your first night in the Gryffindor dormitory with your new friends.'

'I'm going to miss my goodnight kiss,' he said in a small voice, unwilling to actually admit how much this hurt him.

Minnie smiled at him reassuringly. 'Me too,' she said softly. 'Probably more than you because you'll be too busy gossiping with your new friends. Let's see,' she looked at the slip of paper in front of her. 'Five of you: Ron Weasley, Neville Longbottom, Seamus Finnegan, and Dean Thomas. A good group I should think. You'll be just fine. Anyway, I'm sure you don't want me to come up and tuck you in in front of that lot!'

Harry giggled, 'no! Not really. I'll just have to imagine it.'

She nodded, a pink tinge to her cheeks, 'I'll do the same, Harry. Now, off you go! You'll be missing out!'

'Night, mum!' he called as he run off.

It was bittersweet, to see her boy suddenly independent from her, to be so near and yet so far from her. She wondered how she would ever be able not to favour him, she wondered if she ever be able to stop worrying about him. She'd seen him rubbing his scar at dinner as he looked at Severus. The animosity between the two of them seemed to be intensifying as the years went by.

Indeed, she was soon to hear that her own concerns about favouring Harry were being balanced by the potion master's need to pick on him. Harry had complained to her but there was nothing she could do; unless she witnessed Severus actually bullying Harry she was in a position where she couldn't interfere. Still, she did have a quiet word with Albus on the first Thursday of term after Severus had already taken two points from Harry for cheek and not helping Neville. Harry had come to her in tears, distraught that Professor Snape hated him and that he, in turn, hated potions.

She and Albus stood side-by-side at the window in the staffroom, watching the first years trudge out to the grounds of school for their first flying lesson.

Albus rubbed his hands together. 'And now we shall see what talent these youngsters present for our future Quidditch Teams. I hear the young Malfoy boy has been boasting of his skills.' Albus's eyes twinkled over the top of his half-moon glasses as he glanced at his deputy. He knew her breath was bated, despite the control she showed in not favouring her young ward.

He did see her mouth twitch in pleasure when Harry was the first to summon his broom. He couldn't deny the brief flash of delight too. He was, after all, a Gryffindor too. They both gasped when Neville Longbottom shot to high into the air uncontrollably and then suddenly fell with a WHAM and a thud back to the ground.

'Rolanda has it under control,' Dumbledore said softly as Madame Hooch obviously gave instructions for the class to stay on the ground and helped Neville off to the Infirmary.

They watched Draco Malfoy start to laugh and then swipe something up off the ground.

Minerva tutted, 'Mr Longbottom's Remembrall, I've already had to reprimand Mr Malfoy this morning for trying to take it. Oh...!'

Draco was already on his broom and sweeping up above a tree, taunting Harry with the small red ball.

'Well, he can certainly fly well,' Dumbledore muttered.

They watched Harry mount his broom and kick hard against the ground and soar through the air. Minerva's heart beat with fierce joy and pride, Harry was better, it was so natural for him. They watched him turn sharply and come to a halt facing Draco, and then shoot towards him like a javelin. Draco only just got out of the way in time as Harry made a sharp about turn and held out his hand to reclaim his friend's Remembrall. Minerva was proud of him for standing up to a bully, even if he was breaking the school rules.