i told them the story of what went down last week with mark and why i had to miss my interview.

"so then what happens now? will the college reject you?" chenle queried, curiously.

"i don't know yet. my counselor was very disappointed with me but agreed to ask the college scout for another interview. they haven't replied yet, so we'll see if i get another chance or not." i shrugged, i should be more upset or stressed about this, but something else was on my mind.

chenle nodded, understanding.

the whole time renjun was being weird and very quiet. especially when i was telling the story about what happened to mark. he looked down and bit his lips nervously. for a second i thought he was ashamed of something but i couldn't figure out what.

i halted my step when my eyes caught onto something. i told the others to go ahead to the lunchroom and i'll meet them there.

i hesitated to approach him. my eyes were locked on mark's figure that was struggling to get his locker open. i suddenly sprang over to mark.

"here, i'll help!" i insisted as i grabbed ahold of mark's lock. "it's still the same combination right?" i asked while remembering when mark shared his locker combination with me at the beginning of high school. i'm guessing it hadn't changed since then.

i unlocked it and reached for the books tucked into mark's side. it would be hard to get them in because of his injury.

my heart deflated when he recoiled from my hand like it was contagious.

i felt my chest tighten.

he kept a steel expression on as he began putting his books away. not even once did he spare me a glance.

after what happened to him, i'm sure he wasn't in the mood. i pushed aside the feelings consuming me right now.

"you hungry?" i composed myself and mustered a beaming smile. trying to give him some type of energy or healing.

but he still didn't bother looking at me. he merely shut his locker, roughly might i add and walked away with his crutches.

i swallowed thickly but tried to shrug it off. surely the cold-shoulder he gave me was just a side effect of everything that happened to him recently. he needed space right now.

i made my way to the lunchroom and scanned the room until i spotted renjun and chenle. i got food before sitting down.

i leaned my head on my palm and moved the food back and forth at the assistance of my fork. my appetite disappeared.

"why didn't you answer me yesterday? i texted you" chenle quizzed.

i sighed remembering where i left it.

"i left my phone.." my eyes trailed off. "somewhere." i noted that i needed to ask mark if he had my phone that i left in his hospital room.

i glanced at renjun to see him flickering his eyes back and forth nervously at my response.

the chatter in the cafeteria rose as all heads turned towards the cafeteria door.

mark was accompanied by jaemin, entering the room. they both shot hard glares at the people giving unnecessary attention directed their way.

my eyes doubled in size when they started to stalk towards our table. i tried to keep my composure cool and prepared myself.

i knew it was just a momentary silent treatment. he was just feeling down.