I Put A Spell On You

Start from the beginning

His lips twitched up even more, clearly having a reply waiting for what I asked. “I have the room next door booked. If you decide that you can’t or don’t want to stay in the same room with me, I will get the key from the front desk for the other room.”

The air in the elevator started to grow thin as my heart skipped a few beats. I wasn’t sure that this all was a good idea. Nothing good could come out of this mini-trip, especially since we both have come clean that we don’t know what we think of each other. I mean, I know that he is my best friend ... even after the whole two-year thing ... but I just couldn’t see him the way I think he wanted me to see him. Yet, he did state that he, himself, doesn’t know what he wants. 

Overall my head was seconds from shutting down from all the confusion and whiplash that has come from his very sudden change in demeanor. I feel like he can’t decide if he wants to be Colton or Mr. Sharp. When he came back home after my grandmother died, he was Colton. When he found out I was the one that stole from him, he became Mr. Sharp. Somewhere in the middle of then and now he reversed roles again and again. Now leading to this moment where he is Colton.

We had exited the elevator and were standing by a door. Colton was attempting to open the door with the key, but failing miserably. 

I wanted to laugh at his failed attempts for they reminded me of a child intent on doing something, however not succeeding and pouting with every passing second. That was what he was doing, I determined as I looked at him to see that his bottom lips were sticking out, and his eyes were glaring at the door knob. Pouting suited him in an oddly cute way.

Shaking that thought, I yanked the key from him and opened the door myself, with ease. 

He glared at me and at first I thought, Cole was genuinely mad at me for opening the door. 

His lips twitched up, and his dark chocolate eyes twinkled, showing me that he was joking. “Hey, I could have done that!”

“Sure you could have,” I said as I walked in and looked around. “Do I even want to know how much this cost?” Was the first thing to slip out of my mouth as my eyes danced around the hotel room in complete awe.

I noticed that the room was beyond spacious — at least twice the size of my bedroom back home. The walls were grey with light grey interloping circles; clearly wallpaper. As for the beds, they looked to be both queen size, fitted with white sheets and a smokey grey down comforter. 

“It wasn’t that much,” Colton exclaimed as he walked over to the bed by the huge window that overlooked the sea. He plopped down and gave a sigh as if he was tired. 

I walked over to the window to see that it wasn’t a window but French Doors that led to a balcony. Opening the doors, I stepped out and inhaled the salty air. The breeze could no longer be felt. Instead, the air seemed thicker and warmer. It was clear that today was going to be a warm summer day, perfect for hanging out at the beach. “I could get use to this...” I muttered to myself even though I knew we were only here for a day. Part of me, as I looked out at the sea that was before me, wanted to stay here longer. Yet, that couldn’t happen for more than one reason.

“Are you still hungry?” Cole called from the room. 

“No,” Looking over my shoulder I saw that Colton was staring down at the hotel menu he held. My mind wondered what the hell was compelling me to stay, I should be back in NYC licking my wounds of being stood up. 

I almost chuckled at myself because it was never a real date. For all that was concerned it was probably never planned - Chey never called in her cousin Rafe ... that is if she even has a cousin name Rafe.