𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢 𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎 : 𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚕

Comincia dall'inizio

The de Silva woman slouched her back on the swivel chair, arms crossed over the chest, and eyes locked on the white ceiling. White sure does look peaceful and calming, unlike her mind that's been clouded by her thoughts—dark, cramped, and raucous.

"I'm okay, love. Don't worry 'bout me," Mercy muttered, her heavy eyes slowly drooping to the rhythm of squeaking electric fan. As the evening wore, she watched the hearth horizon that stretches far and wide drain of color from the windshield of her car.

Mercy raised her right brow as she noticed a woman walking in long strides on the sidewalk of the street, the strange woman was trembling and her coat was pulled closer to her body. She thought that the coat and hair looked oddly familiar, "Adalaide?" Mercy faltered, her head peeping out of the window.

Ada jumped to the sudden call out of her name and stopped in her tracks, sweat trickling down her forehead and her jaw was thrust forward, her mouth opened and closed without making a sound. "Ada? What's wrong?" Mercy asked, stopping the car and climbing out of it. As soon as Ada realized it was her friend, her legs collapsed underneath her.

"Hey!" the de Silva woman screamed, dashing towards her friend. Mercy's stomach felt hollow seeing that Ada looked so terrified and taken aback by something, she crouched down to Ada's level and drew her into a hug yet the Thorne widow flinched and pushed her body away.

Mercy had lost balance, causing her to stumble back. "Ada? What's—What happened, love?" she asked, confused about her friend's strange behavior. 

Ada sniffled, her lips twitching and eyes widened in alarm, "I—I'm sorry... I didn't mean to push ya..." she apologized, casting her eyes to the raven-haired woman. "I know, I know. It's fine," Mercy quickly replied, leaping to her feet and helping Ada stand up. She dusted off her own and Ada's skirt. 

"Come on, let's get inside the car first," Mercy said, and as they got into the car and Mercy began to drive, she couldn't help but glance at her side every second that passed. Ada was doing everything she could to keep from shaking like a leaf—she appeared exhausted and on the verge of passing out.

Their ride back to their house was short, quiet, and still. Ada never spoke of what had happened to her and Mercy wouldn't dare to pull words out of her mouth. She was left at sea, and today's event would be yet another reason to keep her thoughts awake. Ada dashed out of the car and headed into her room, where Karl was playing with Sol. The de Silva girl sensed that something was wrong that very minute and made herself scarce, she asked her older sister about it but silence was the only answer she received.

It was Sunday morning when the four of them dined together for breakfast, Ada returned to her usual temperament but the conversation Mercy was patiently waiting for never came to light, "I'll be going to Camden Town today," the raven-haired woman spoke, biting into a toasted loaf. "Do y'all want to come with me?" she added and glanced around the people dining with her, but they shook their heads in unison.

"We're taking Karl to the park, ate," Sol answered, popping a button mushroom in her mouth. The Thorne woman nodded, "Uh-huh, we'd be havin' picnic and ice cream," Mercy puckered her lips, feeling envious of their plans. Only if it weren't for Mrs. Blau then she would've gone with them too. She made a promise to Noah not long ago that she'd do a monthly check-up for his mother and today is the day for it. 

Mercy rested her left hand on her chin, making a sad face and her lower lip thrust out, "I want to come with you lots." 

"Let's a've another picnic next Sunday, yeah?" Ada suggested, gaze falling down on both of the de Silva sisters, "Yeah!" Karl chimed in as if he just understood what his mother had said, the three of them laughed at the adorable boy. The breakfast quickly ended and it was already time for Mercy to depart to Camden Town so she could return home early, "Take care, alright?" Mercy peered her head out of the window as Sol, Ada, and Karl were standing outside the house, seeing her off.