03. new friends and family foes

Start from the beginning

"Well, Miss Shelby," The man huffed, "I highly doubt this will be the last time we see each other."

Clara scowled as she watched the coppers file out of the home, followed by the grim Inspector. As the front door shut with a bang, the girl allowed her shoulders to drop and her adrenaline ease off. She rested her red cheek flat on the table, hissing at the twinge that rocketed through her face. Clara sat for a few moments before sighing and pushing herself off of her seat and onto her feet.

Entering the green doors that led into the den, she groaned in despair. The tables had been flipped and contents were strewn all over the wooden flooring. Bending down, she picked up a chair, placing it upright before standing up straight and rolling up her sleeves.

All she had asked for was one day of peace and yet it seemed as if the world had it out for her.

"I PRESUME THE INSPECTOR CALLED 'ROUND HERE TOO?"

Clara glanced towards her Aunt as the woman entered the building. The girl had picked up the majority of the paper and chairs, along with a few tables but a few still laid on their side— too heavy for the stubborn girl to lift.

"Yeah, he called round." She grumbled, placing a stack of pages onto an upturned desk. Pol scoffed and approached the girl, helping to gather some more paper.

"Visited me at the church." The woman grimly responded, her eyes widening at the sight of Clara's cheek. Leaning forward, Pol clasped the girl's jaw in her hand, twisting her head as she examined the purple blotches which were forming. "Christ...he give you this?"

Clara nodded, squirming out of her aunt's grip. "Didn't answer his question right apparently," she answered, "Kept blabbering on about stolen guns, kept pressing me for answers. Told 'im I knew nothing."

Polly was silent as the girl slumped down into the kitchen chair, her body's energy depleting after the morning she'd had. The older woman swept up the betting den as Clara rested her head in her arms, closing her eyes, knowing that her Aunt was near.

She could take a nap.

Who would it hurt?

She could spare fifteen minutes.

All she had to do was slip away.

Slip away from Small Heath.

Slip away from the noise.

Slip away from consciousness.

Slip...

A loud bang and an uproar of voices entered the house, causing the exhausted girl to jump to attention. One by one, Arthur, John, Tommy and Finn filed into the kitchen along with Lovelock and Scudboat. Their confused eyes scanned the area, taking in the dishevelled state of both the girl and the den. 

Pol approached the kitchen, as Arthur slumped into a seat beside the younger girl, placing a bucket of beer onto the table. John ruffled Clara's hair, handing out glasses to the people gathered.

"Alrigh', Clara?" Arthur huffed, sipping from his glass as the girl bowed her head.

"I suppose," She shrugged, avoiding her brother's gaze while her loose hair successfully hid the visible blemishes. "Coppers came and trashed the place— typical day, I guess."