FIRST AND LAST.

You went back inside your room, feeling tired from the training and somewhat anxious for the week ahead of you. Being in the Marleyan military was tough for you, emotionally and physically. The trainings and tasks were demanding. You were constantly tasked to load up the trains and boats with guns and canons. At the end of each day you don't get to eat enough food because you just never felt like it. The food was surely delicious, and it's a privilege for you to be able to eat such delicacies, but the work in its entirety was too draining for you. You had no friends nor a family to run back home to when you're taking a break from work. It was just you in your little room for soldiers, and you in your empty little house for when you're temporarily done with work.

Your military room, you would describe, was luxurious considering that you're a soldier. You had a tall and blonde roommate, but the two of you never got around to talk to each other, because you were either asleep or trying to make yourself seem unapproachable. She has tried to spark up a conversation with you, but you only ever answered her with a nod, a shake of the head, or by shrugging. You simply had no time nor space to form any sort of relationship with anyone. You'll either die alone or die in the battlefield. That's what you always thought.

You lie down on your bed, still not blowing out the candlelight as courtesy for Yelena's arrival. The silence that the two of you constantly shared was rather awkward; you always felt like she wanted to tell you something, but your social ineptitude and surface-level disinterest seemed to stop her from saying anything. You too wanted to say something to her all those times, but you didn't want any seemingly potential yet irrelevant relationship to be attached to you. On top of those, you carried this cold gaze mixed with sleepy eyes so that you really look unhappy with your job. Being a soldier was the highest paying job in Marley. It was a high risk but high reward job. You thought that, perhaps once you get an adequate amount of money as a soldier, you'll resign and set up your own small business in Marley. If you don't survive, then so be it.

While pondering, your tall, blonde roommate came into the room and slammed the door shut. She slightly jumped from the loud noise.

"I'm sorry about that." She apologized and locked the door. You simply nodded in response. She sat on her cot which was situated next to you and began to undo the straps and buckles on her thighs and chest.  She then took her helmet off and slightly combed through her hair, somewhat smoothening it. Yelena took het boots off and began to undress starting from her shirt. You felt a sensation in your stomach; a feeling of forbidden excitement, so you turned away.

"You can look if you like, y/n." Yelena suddenly said. Your eyes widened at the sudden talk and also at what she just said.

"Huh? I'm not doing that."

"Why not? You squeezed your thighs together when I began to take my shirt off." Yelena said and you can hear her smirking as she said the last part.

"It doesn't mean anything. Just change into your sleepwear, please." You said and made an attempt to loosen your thighs up in hopes that she wouldn't see through you.

"I'll be showering first. I'll be back," Yelena said and held your shoulder, causing you to look at her. She tilted her head and quickly observed your features. "You're.." She stroked the back of her hand on your cheek. "very soft." She walked away and went into the bathroom. What just happened? You buried your face in your pillow as you felt your cheeks heat up from the strange interaction. How were you soft? You just came back from showering after a long day of doing tough duties. You definitely were not as soft on the outside. Perhaps she meant that your personality is soft? But you didn't see how.

You tried brushing those thoughts off for the next few minutes, but  when you finally were able to do so, Yelena came out of the bathroom with her hair still somewhat soaking from the shower. Beads of water were dripping down her chest which was two buttons shy of revealing the rest of her bosom. She looked into your eyes and you tried to pretend that you were looking at the door behind her. She somehow saw right through you, though.