Chapter One: Sanctuary of the Deep

Start from the beginning

Everything here was perfect for us. This coral city was a safe place with plenty of food and resources, and the depth was just enough that we enjoyed sunlight without fear of being discovered by humans or tormented by their huge, loud ships. Yet we also remained far enough away from the true deep, the dark zone where the world was plagued by eternal night, home to frightening creatures and less than savory Seafolk who wouldn't hesitate to devour another of their kind. Down there, food was food, no matter what it was or where it came from. Within the darkness lay danger.

Inside the lower levels of the coral palace, us servants feasted on a breakfast of seaweed and tuna slices. I picked away the strands of seaweed and tossed them aside, where a sea snail servant seated beside me hastily gobbled them up. Eating anything other than meat made me violently sick, wracked with stomach pains and vomit. Jellyfish were carnivorous after all, and jellyfish folk like myself were no exception. Though, considering the sheer size of most other Seafolk compared to me, I took little stock in calling myself a predator. I had rarely ever hunted for my own food. Princess Tamayori provided her servants with everything they could ever need, and that alone was enough for me.

As I finished up my breakfast, I caught a sweet scent in the water, a calling targeted toward me. It was Princess Tamayori's scent, a pheromone of sorts that would attract any of her servants to her without fail. I couldn't resist the tempting sweet smell. I dropped everything I had been doing in that moment and followed the wispy trail through the elegant halls of the coral palace, all the way up to Her Majesty's chambers on the top floor.

Upon entering her room, witnessing her perched upon her radiant pearly throne, I was compelled to drop down and bow before her. I bowed until my head nearly touched the floor. Princess Tamayori was nothing less than majestic. Like a goddess of the sea. Her entire body was a pale white, decorated by light black stripes. A crown of long crimson antennae bloomed up from her beautiful white hair, and a thin red fin ran all the way down her spine, from the back of her neck to the serpent-like lower half of her body. The oarfish folk ruler of the Sea of Japan, the princess of herrings, the magnificent Tamayori. Words were insufficient to express her beauty. She emanated grace with every breath, and her presence alone commanded all who encountered her to bow their heads in admiration and respect.

 She emanated grace with every breath, and her presence alone commanded all who encountered her to bow their heads in admiration and respect

"I have arrived," I said. "How may I serve you, Your Majesty?"

Sharp eyes of gold narrowed at me. "Kurage, I have a message for you to deliver," Tamayori said. Her voice was like a siren's song.

"Say no more, Your Majesty," I confirmed. "I shall have it delivered by day's end."

"This is not quite the same as the others," Tamayori interrupted. "Up until now, you have only delivered my messages within the Sea of Japan. This message's destination is far beyond that, and it is of the utmost importance."

"Who is it meant for?" I asked. "Even if it is far away, as long as I know who the recipient is, my biological compass will guide me through the sea."