Chapter 3, Confrontation

Start from the beginning

"Did you forget that she was taking care of a baby while creating an arc reactor?! Why don't you try doing that!" Steve exclaimed.

"Actually there were two, twins I believe. You just couldn't see them both at the same time. One was always in the shade on a blanket under the table." Bucky interjected.

Tony raised his hands in a placating gesture, "Okay, its fine. She can tie in first with #15, plus it gives us a reason to hang around her to get to know her."

The group went back up to the front and Tony explained the awards to the principal. The principal then sent someone to gather everyone from the gym.

As the people rushed out, all the Avengers subtly looked around to try and find their mate. Once everyone was gathered, Tony started speaking.

"In third place we have #14" Everyone claps as a male makes his way up onto the stage.

"In second place we have #26" The crowd claps again as another male makes his way up. 

"Last of all we have first place. We had a problem choosing this one because there were two students that were particularly exceptional. They showed that they understood exactly what the challenge was and also showed extraordinary scores on the written part of the contest. Can I have a drumroll please?"

Everyone patted their legs and anticipation filled the air.

"In first place, winner of the internship, we have----- #15!! But there's also one more person #30!!!"

Another male goes up to the stage but there's silence when they realize that no one else is heading up yet.

"Number 30? Are you still here?" The principal hands Tony Stark a piece of paper. "Ah, your name seems to be Eclipse Power Time."

Happiness surged through the Avengers marks of each other. They now knew their mates name.

A voice comes from the crowd, "That's me!"

The Avengers see their mate trying to make her way up to the front. Tony walks forward into the crowd and the rest of them follow. The crowd parts to make a path for them.

As they get closer they see their mate fall to a knee. They could feel the pain from their own soulmarks and could only imagine what their mate was feeling.

Quickening their pace they arrive and pretend to help her up. While in reality they were locating their soulmarks.

Blocking her from the prying eyes of the public, they watch her get up.

"Um- hi. I- Uh- I should probably go, sorry for inte-interrupting."

Everyone looks at her in bewilderment. It's Stark who speaks first. "You weren't interrupting, you're the one who won the prize and was supposed to head to the front."

She glances down, seeming to not want to look at them. "I- thank you. But are you sure you picked the right person? I didn't even complete my project?"

"Nope, no mistake. Unless you weren't the one who made the almost finished arc reactor. Then we'd have a problem. But we were watching you when we arrived early. Therefore, no mistake."

When Stark's done talking Steve speaks up, "We should probably head back up front to finish the ceremony thing."

As they walk up to the front people are videoing and taking pictures and there's nothing the Avengers could do.

The awards get passed out as the ceremony continues. All the Avengers feel a wave of sadness shoot through their mates mark on their bodies.

They were all frustrated that they couldn't do anything. Until they saw Stephen's cape leave his shoulders and go onto their soulmates.