Chapter Seventeen

Zacznij od początku

"Chicken!" he says, hoarsely after removing the old Daily Prophets from his mouth and throwing them down onto the cave floor. Harry pulls open his bag and hands over the bundle of chicken legs and bread.

"Thanks," says Sirius, opening it, grabbing a drumstick, sitting down on the cave floor, and tearing off a large chunk with his teeth. "I've been living off rats mostly. Can't steal too much food from Hogsmeade; I'd draw attention to myself."

Harry returns his grin, but only just barely.

"What're you doing here, Sirius?" he says, warily.

"Fulfilling my duty as godfather," says Sirius, gnawing on the chicken bone in a very doglike way. "Don't worry about it. Who's your friend?" he question, cocking his head in Maya's direction.

"This is Maya" replies Harry, gently putting a hand on her shoulder, "Maya Rajesh. She transferred from New York at the beginning of term"

Sirius's face goes pale in recognition.

"You're Arjun's daughter, aren't you?" he questions, a slow smile breaking out onto his face, "You look so much like your mother — but you have his nose, and hair color....."

Maya's heart pangs at the fact that he's unaware of her true source of parentage.

"You were only this big the last time I saw you" Sirius proves this by keeping his hand two or three feet above the ground, "It's weird to see you all grown up now"

He's still grinning, but seeing the anxiety in Harry's face, reverts back to his original point, tone serious and grave, "I want to be on the spot. Your last letter . . . well, let's just say things are getting fishier. I've been stealing the paper every time someone throws one out, and by the looks of things, I'm not the only one who's getting worried."

He nods at the yellowing Daily Prophets on the cave floor, and Ron picks them up and unfolds them. Harry, however, continues to stare at Sirius.

"What if they catch you? What if you're seen?"

"You three and Dumbledore are the only ones around here who know I'm an Animagus," says Sirius, shrugging, and continuing to
devour the chicken leg, "And now Maya, of course". She flashes him a tight smile.

Ron nudges Maya and passes her the Daily Prophets. There are two: The first bears the headline "Mystery Illness of Bartemius
Crouch"
, the second, "Ministry Witch Still Missing — Minister of Magic Now Personally Involved."

Maya scans the story about Crouch. Phrases jump out at her: hasn't been seen in public since November . . . house appears deserted . . . St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries decline comment . . . Ministry refuses to confirm rumors of critical illness. . . .

"They're making it sound like he's dying," says Maya, slowly.

"But he can't be that ill if he managed to get up here. . . ." trails off Harry, confused.

"My brother's Crouch's personal assistant," Ron informs Sirius, "He says Crouch is suffering from overwork."

"Mind you, he did look ill, last time I saw him up close," says Harry, still reading the story. "The night my name came out
of the goblet. . . ."

"Getting his comeuppance for sacking Winky, isn't he?" says Hermione, an edge to her voice. She's stroking Buckbeak, who
is crunching up Sirius's chicken bones. "I bet he wishes he hadn't done it now — bet he feels the difference now she's not there to
look after him."

"Hermione's obsessed with house-elfs," Ron mutters to Sirius, casting Hermione a dark look. Sirius, however, looks interested.

"Crouch sacked his house-elf?"