What Lies Ahead?

"Woah," Adlet huffed a deep breath at the story's conclusion. His dark hair hiding his eyes, Hans grins widely.

"That was the day I found out what killin' meant to meow."

"You really never went back to that town?" Adlet inquired, looking over at his comrade. Hans simply shrugged his shoulders with a frown that lacked any kind of care.

"I had neow reason to," Hans replied, his clawed hands returning to relax in his lap, "I got judgin' stares wherever I went, so I didn't care about that specific town. Besides, I focused on my new heowbby, so the day would get away from me."

"Your new hobby," Adlet repeated as if to make sure of it himself, "And that would be-"

"Killin' of course, meow!" Hans exclaimed in a cheerful tone, cutting Adlet off.

Adlet couldn't escape a shiver vibrating down his spine. He compared his own path to becoming a fighter to Hans. His longest motive had been for revenge and nothing else. It used to be his only reason for living. Despite his Master changing his views into striving for a brighter future, he could never forget the pain Tgurneu had inflicted upon him.

While Hans, on the other hand, probably only fought and became an assassin for the pure joy of it. Adlet couldn't fully accept that that's all there was to it.

"Meeeeoooow!" Hans yawned while stretching his arms high above his head.

"You a little tired?" Adlet asked somewhat sarcastically, smirking in amusement. Hans sincerely nodded his head with no real emotion.

"Yeah, I'm gonna take a lil' cat nap before mornin'." Hans replied in a low voice as he stood to his stumbling feet.

"Go ahead and get some rest Hans," Adlet reassured his comrade with his usual friendly smile, "Fremy will be on watch in a little bit."

"Uh-huh," Hans mumbled before pressing his hands against his back, achieving a soft crack. His shoulders slump as he turns around and heads back for the cave lit up by the blaze.

Adlet sighs to himself following the strange man's departure. He hadn't anticipated to be told so much, especially from Hans. But knowing a little more about his comrade brought a genuine smile to his face. He hadn't even known this group of people for a week, but they were still the greatest friends he could ever hope to imagine.

He thought about Mora and everything she was forced to struggle through. He remembered the pain and anguish Goldof must be swimming in after Nashetania's disappearance. He was slowly working to figure Fremy out, and now he had a greater understanding of who Hans is.

"It's their loss." Adlet said to himself. Despite all the hard times and loss, it was thanks to the negative experiences that brought everyone together here; and now they all had a common mission to complete together.

The crescent moon was clear, millions of twinkling stars decorating the night sky. There wasn't much time left to defeat the Evil God and save the world. Adlet had to wonder what was coming up next. What did Tgurneu have up his sleeve? What other threats awaited them? The watching world over his head couldn't give him the answers to that just yet.