Glass Hearts and Crystal Knives [Chapter 3]

~ Chapter 3: A Change in Perspective

"Who-who are you?" I asked the shadow hesitantly.

   "I'm hurt Evie." The shadow replied jokingly. "You don't remember me?"

   I shook my head a little in a no sort of motion too afraid to actually say it. I don't have a lot of memories from those days but, the only person who ever called me Evie is

   "Oh, sorry." The shadow said stepping out of the darkness. "I guess I look kind of different from before. Especially standing in darkness." The figure took a step forward into the light.

   Only one word came to my mind.

   "Dad?"

   "It's been a while hasn't it?" said her father. It's been a while? How can he say that? It's been more than a while. He left me when I was still a baby. Of course I'm happy that he's back but, I'm angry and sad too.

   Still half in shock I sat there frozen on my bed. He came over to me and hugged me.

   "I'm so glad that I can see you." Dad said pulling away. "But, I can't stay here I have to go back." My heart fell. Go back? Go back where? Right when I thought I wouldn't have to be alone. He's leaving me all over again. It would have been better if he had never come in the first place.

   He turned to leave.

   "Wait!" I yelled softly. He was already halfway to the window. He turned around to look at me. On his face was an expression that could somewhat describe the feelings inside of me. Confused, happy, sad and angry all at the same time. I looked at him pleadingly. He closed his eyes and turned back around.

   "I'm sorry." He whispered before he jumped out the window. I raced to the window and got there just in time to see him land and run quietly down the streets.

   I threw on my cloak and some shoes and ran out the door, almost forgetting to skip the wobbly step. I looked left and right to make sure no one was watching or following, then took off as quietly as I could manage in the direction I saw my father go.

   Here in the day it is hot and sunny but in the night it can get pretty cold. As the wind bit at my barren ankles I thanked god that I didn't change into my nightdress before going to bed tonight, because if I had the rest of me would be freezing too.

   The buildings looked dark and looming even thought they weren't that tall. There were no inviting glow of candles inside. The windows were all closed and dark. Just running beside them made me feel a bit scared. Pull yourself together, I thought. This is nothing.

   I kept running until I saw someone ahead. I hid next to a nearby building and peered around the edge. It appeared to be my father, and it looked like he was stamping something. I looked out around more, careful as to not be seen. He was stamping a wax seal on a scroll.

   He put the scroll in the bag that was slung across his back quickly and ran ahead. I walked over to the place he was standing before. On the ground I saw a little wax seal seemingly identical to one dad was putting on that scroll.

   The seal was darkish kind of red and had a skull and cross-bone design on it. To be more exact on the seal there was a skull. Behind the skull was a bone crossed over a sword to form a sort of 'x' shape. In the right eye of the skull there was a heart.

   What a strange design... I felt like I had read about this sort of design before in a book. A design with a skull or cross-bones, usually symbolizes... the design of pirates!

   Pirates? Now that I think about it, the harbor is that way. The way that my father was running. What could that mean...

   I shook away all of my thoughts and focused on what I was supposed to be doing. I put the wax seal into the little bag that was attached to the inside of my cloak and continued running.

   The dock wasn't so far away. Soon, I saw the dock up ahead, and my dad walking up to a large ship.

   The dock wasn't big but it wasn't so small either. Our town wasn't a town with a particularly special trading business but, we were near water so we still traded overseas more often than in other towns.

   As I advanced, I was hoping that the wooden planks wouldn't creak when I stepped on them. I didn't really know since I didn't come here very often. But before I could take even one more step someone came out of the ship. I quickly hid behind the stacked crates on my left.

   I could hear talking but I couldn't hear what they were saying. I strained my ears so that I could hear something. I only caught tidbits of information, a few words here and there.

  "Did you deliver it?" The mysterious man asked. His voice was deeper than I had expected.

  "Yes." My father replied, "I also recieved an immidiate reply." The man grunted in response and when he moved back, I could see what he looked like. He was a plump man with a face to match. He had a moustache that connected around his mouth to form a small beard that only covered his chin. His hands were somewhat calloused but not so much. He was probably at least a bit wealthy.

  The men exchanged some words which I couldn't hear and then started turning back around. The unknown man froze in his tracks and spun back around. I yelped silently and retreated deeper into the shadows. He had seen me!