DISGRACEFUL HAPPINESS

You've ruined our family name! You are such a disgrace. We should have known raising you was a mistake.

The words echoed inside his head and he felt as if he was in an endless tunnel. His body was aching from the pain of the terrible beatings he had received from the nights before. He tried not to replay the dreadful moments in his mind, as it would torment him and make him feel like he was living in hell all over again.

The male's footsteps were soft and gentle on the concrete sidewalk. His gaze fixed on the building ahead of him.

Sungyoon was just several meters from the school gate, when a train of thoughts came rushing through his mind like crashing waves. Afraid once again, he quickly shrugged it off, worried that it would consume him and control his actions. Desperate to calm his mind and get rid of all those negative and unwanted thoughts, he takes out his airpods, and places them in both ears, blocking out everything around him. Music was something he would turn to if he'd ever become anxious.

He continued walking, gradually picking up his pace and moments later, he arrived at the front gate. There was a security guard in front of him. A dull expression on his face. His eyes were baggy and had no life in them.

Sungyoon removed an airpod from his ear and carefully put it back into the case. He brushed his hair back and glanced at his phone looking at his reflection making sure he was neat and presentable.

The male was about to enter when suddenly he felt a hand on his shoulder pulling him back. It was the security guard.

"You need to show me your School ID card.. You can't just enter here" the man utters, holding out his hand.

"Look. I'm a new transfer student. I don't have an ID card" Sungyoon responds innocently.

"Oh. Are you by any chance that boy from Hwangseol High? I heard from our secretary that you'd be coming in.”

"Yes. That is me. So would you care to let me in now? the youngster asks, tapping his foot on the ground, desperate to get into the school and get the day over with.

The guard allows him to enter and he quickly proceeds to the reception where there is a woman waiting for him. There is a huge smile plastered across her face. "Good morning. I am Ms Lee, the school secretary. You must be our new transfer -" she was cut off by Sungyoon's voice.

He sighs. "Please don't refer to me as a transfer. I want to put that image behind me. My name is Choi Sungyoon." 

"Right then, Sungyoon.. I'll take you to your classroom now" Ms Lee says and ushers him out of the office.

...........................................

The class was filled with boys laughing and talking loudly, but all went silent once the footsteps of the blue-eyed male entered the room. He stood in the center of the classroom, scanning everything and everyone around him.

"I am Choi Sungyoon. I will be joining you guys as a class. I hope we can all work hard and help each other together" he says, refraining from telling everyone that he isn't actually new but a transfer. The teacher motions him to sit at the back of the class next to a small boy, who looked too young to be in highschool.

As he takes his seat, he notices many pairs of eyes looking at him. His gaze falls to his desk, refusing to make eye contact with anyone.

This kind of attention just makes me feel uncomfortable. Can they stop staring at me?

Sungyoon felt a soft tap on his shoulder. He glanced up and his gaze went to the boy sitting next to him. The boy had hazel eyes and an innocent look on his face. "Looks like you're going to be the centre of attention for a while. We rarely get new students here at this school" he says and smiles politely. "I'm Choi Bomin. Your new desk mate."