Chapter 3

Kageyama stood there, wide eyed with his mouth hanging open until the bus went out of his sight. His face suddenly contorted with anger and he took it off on the rock in front of him, kicking it with all his might.

     "Stupid le—" Right at that moment the realisation dawned upon him that he had used his sprained ankle to perform the feat and cried out in pain, dropping to the ground and rolling left and right, holding his leg.

     After groaning in pain for about five minutes, he started limping back slowly towards home. Throughout the walk, he muttered angrily at everything he came across. There was a permanent scowl etched into his face by the time he made it back to his house. But yet another tragedy was yet to unfold. Kageyama crouched down and lifted a pot of flowers for the key when another realisation dawned upon him. It was as if someone had drop kicked him and then thrown him into the river.

     Since he was going to be gone for two weeks, his sister had planned to go for a trip during that time. And she had left right after he had left the house. With the only key.

     He pulled out his phone, ready to call her and have her come back to hand him the key and as if on cue with his bad luck, the battery died as he was about to dial her number.

     Kageyama calmly put his phone inside his pocket, collapsing on the stairs. The sky was darkening and there was no doubt it would start raining soon.

     Ah yes, of course, why not? It's not like I had the worst day of my life ever by spraining my ankle, being left behind and not having the only key to my house. Why shouldn't it rain all over me? He thought, close to tears at this point.

     Tiny droplets soon came down, stinging his skin. They turned into fat drops within minutes, accompanied by heavy gusts of wind. Kageyama sat on the stairs for around half an hour, then stood up and made his mind. He would walk all the way to school again. If he let Coach Ukai know what happened, surely he would have no choice but to take him right? Hopefully, they will just come back for him. He started walking, trying his best to ignore the pain.

     He had made it halfway through, skulking and angrily grunting at the road when he slipped and crashed into a hard surface and fell backwards, losing his balance. His ankle twisted the wrong way and the pain became unbearable.

     "Damn... Dammit! It hurts so much..." Kageyama yelled as he massaged his ankle, tears rolling down his cheeks.

     The person he had crashed into was somehow still standing. They offered him a hand for help. Kageyama glared at the hand, following it to the owner's face. His heart almost skipped a beat. This was the worst person he could have run into.

     Why? Why you? Why you of all people? His brain was swept over by these questions over and over again as he stared at the person's face as if he had seen a ghost. No, even a ghost would be better at this point. Probably.

     "Yahoo, Tobio-chan!" The person's gleeful greeting rang in Kageyama's ears.

     Oikawa Tooru.

     Kageyama shook his head and composed himself. He pushed away Oikawa's hand and pulled himself up, slowly, careful not to put the weight of his body on his bad leg. He was drenched in rain and now his clothes were ruined too. He glared at Tooru.

     "Oya? What's that look for?" Oikawa asked joyfully, twirling his umbrella purposefully so that drops of rain hit Tobio's face, bouncing off the surface.

     "Oikawa-san. I thought you would be at the training camp. I saw Aoba Johsai on the list of team joining Nekoma."

     "What's it to you? I could ask you the same thing. Did they finally kick you out of the team? Ah, such a shame! You were so young, so full of promise, I cry." Oikawa feigned wiping tears off his eyes.

     Kageyama silently glared at him, wishing to burn a hole into his head. He turned away, not wanting to let Tooru have the joy of seeing him angry. "I... Got left behind... I sprained my ankle so I'm not allowed in the camp until I'm better."

     "Ah! So what are you doing out here? Exercising that leg back to shape? That's not how it—"

     "I know dammit! I'm..." He paused, embarrassed. "I am locked out of my house."

     Oikawa narrowed his eyes. "Wait a minute. You're not thinking of walking to the school and calling them to ask them to take you back are you?"

     Tobio's cheeks were flushed red by now. Seriously, what is with this guy? Why does he have to be right all the time?

     "But you know Tobio-chan, you've been drenching yourself in the rain all this time. You really think they will come back and take you with them when you will probably catch a fever and there won't be anyone to take care of you?" Oikawa smirked, knowing he was getting under Kageyama's skin.

     "That's not... T-they have to... I have nowhere else to go." Kageyama didn't know what to do. He didn't think about all that.

     Oikawa walked past him. "Ah well, if that's what you think, go ahead, who's stopping you?" He said, turning to Tobio with a stone cold deadpan face. "Good luck."

     He had taken two steps when Kageyama's voice stopped him. "O-Oikawa-san!"

     He turned around, with a bored look on his face. "Nani?"

     Kageyama stared at the road. "Would you mind... Can I go... I would appreci—"

     "Spit it out already, I don't have the entire day."

     Kageyama bit his lip in anger. This was the last person he wanted to ask for a favour. But he had no choice right now.

     "Can you please... Let me stay with you for a while? It will just be for a while."

     Oikawa smirked, getting a mischievous glint in his eyes. "No." He smiled.

     Kageyama looked up in surprise. No?

     "Oikawa-san onegai! I'm begging you."

     "Then get on your knees and beg." Tooru answered immediately.

     If murder was legal, Kageyama would have killed his senior right at this moment. He just stood there for a while, not sure what to do. Finally, he decided to let go of his pride. He bent one knee to sit down when Oikawa spoke.

     "Oh god you're actually doing it? I was just kidding." He burst into laughter. He stopped abruptly and stared emotionlessly into Kageyama's eyes who was looking up at him with a confused face. "You know what I really hate about you? Those blueberry eyes."

     He spun around on his heels and started walking. "If you're not coming, I'm leaving you behind too."

     Kageyama stood up, still confused over what had just happened. He adjusted the strap of the bag on his shoulder and walked towards Oikawa who was patient enough to wait for him to get inside the umbrella.

     They had to walk slowly because of Kageyama's legs and Tooru made no effort to hide his irritation. After what felt like forever, they were finally at Oikawa's house.

_____________