9

Today was the very last day for the data collection period. Albedo had managed to survive the final week acting as if everything was completely okay. Kaeya had done the same, in one way or another. The two were going to spend the last day together before Kaeya left, likely for good. However, something happened that neither of them expected. 

Kaeya lifted his phone to his ear. His face getting paler and paler as time continued. He hung up without a word. "That was...a hospital," he explained, dropping his phone. "Diluc is..." Kaeya ran out without offering any other explanation. He left his things. 

Albedo's chest choked up. Tears welled up in his eyes. He knew that he was not the most important person in Kaeya's life. He also knew that if something happened to Diluc...it was more than reasonable for him to leave in a hurry. He fell to his knees and held his chest, sobbing terribly for the first time in his life. 

"I have no reason to feel this way," Albedo tried to talk himself out of it. "But it hurts so damn much," he sobbed, wiping his eyes as best as he could. "Kaeya," he cried. "Kaeya how did you do this for so long...how do you hide your feelings for Diluc like that...doesn't it hurt?" he asked himself. "It hurts..." 

...

"You're okay?" Kaeya asked, grabbing Diluc's shoulders. 

"Yes, god, I'm fine," Diluc swatted Kaeya's hands away. "It wasn't a serious accident. What did they tell you?" Diluc frowned. 

"You're really okay?" Kaeya asked. 

"I'm fine," Diluc insisted. "I just can't work for a couple of days. My arm is broken." 

"I'll work, you just...rest..." Kaeya offered. 

"Are you serious? I couldn't trust you to wash the dishes." 

"Diluc," Kaeya's lips turned into a firm line. "Just shut the fuck up and let your arm heal." 

Diluc stared at Kaeya, a bit confused. He hadn't seen him genuinely stern in years. "You're not going to put on your normal facade and tell me how much of an idiot I am for walking into the street without looking both ways?" 

Kaeya pulled Diluc into a gentle hug, so as not to aggravate his injury, "I'm just glad you're okay." 

"Yeah, yeah, get off of me," Diluc pushed him away. Kaeya's phone buzzed in his pocket. He looked at it to see a message from Albedo. I wired the money into your account directly. Thank you for participating in my data collection. No need to stop by for your things, I've delivered them to your brother's residence.

"Oh," Kaeya felt his heart drop for a second. He really wasn't going to see him again? This was it? 

"Who is that?" Diluc asked. 

"An acquaintance, wishing you get better soon," Kaeya smiled, half-heartedly, and put his phone into his pocket. 

"Wait, you're going to try and live with me again, aren't you?" Diluc groaned. 

"Someone has to take care of you," Kaeya snickered. 

"I can do this myself." 

"No," Kaeya insisted. "Let me be the good brother for once." 

"Brother?" Diluc blinked. 

"What?" 

"It's been a long time since you've actually acknowledged I was your brother. You always emphasize the adopted part." 

Kaeya stared at Diluc. He was completely correct. Brother rolled off of his tongue so easily. Did that mean his feelings were finally gone? That couldn't be right. What could've changed that would make him say that? 

...

"Brother Albedo," Klee knocked on the door before opening it. She looked at Albedo, curled up in his bed with piles of sketches surrounding him. "Are you okay? You didn't greet me like you usually do." 

It's been a week since Kaeya left. Albedo hadn't felt any better since day one. His eyes were terribly red. He stopped crying after the fourth day but now he just felt incredibly empty. "Klee," he muttered, sitting up. "I'm sorry." 

"Brother Albedo?" Klee ran to him and jumped up on the bed. "What's wrong?" 

"I had my heart broken, I think," Albedo said. 

"Are you feeling the not good?" Klee placed her hand on Albedo's chest, over his heart. "Does this feel all bad inside?" 

"Yes," Albedo nodded. "I'm feeling the very not good," he laughed slightly. 

Klee hugged him. "It's okay, Brother Albedo," she assured. "I'm here now. I eat ice cream when I feel the not good. Do you want me to get you some ice cream?" 

"That would be nice." 

"Okay!" Klee smiled, running off into the kitchen. Albedo hugged his knees and hid his face in them. 

"I didn't think I would miss him this much."