Chapter 7

Niki and Nyla sat in a hibachi place as the man in front of them cooked. "So, you and Jack?" Niki asked. Nyla rolled their eyes.

"So, you and Willow?" Nyla retaliated. Niki blushed, making Nyla pause. "Wait... actually?" Nyla asked. Niki nodded nervously. "Are you and Willow..." Nyla trailed off. Niki nodded again, making Nyla gasp. "No way. You and Willow are together?" She asked. Niki nodded for a third time.

"Yeah, we are. Willow asked me out the other night. It kind of sucks since it's really long distance though." Niki told Nyla. Nyla nodded.

"Right, she lives in Mexico with that Quackity guy, right?" Nyla asked.

"Yeah, she does. She went there after a big fight with Wil earlier this year." Niki told her. Nyla nodded.

"Right, when Wilbur went batshit crazy because of it." Niki giggled and nodded. Nyla furrowed their brow. "I thought Willow went back with Wilbur?" Niki shook her head.

"No, she went back to Mexico with Quackity since she likes it better there. She plans to visit for holidays though." Nyla nodded in understanding. "Now, back to you and Jack. What's up with you two?" Niki asked, changing the subject. Nyla snorted.

"We're close. Good friends." Nyla explained briefly, lying to Niki and herself. Niki raised a brow, not having any of it. Nyla sighed. "Okay, fine. I like him. I'm not sure if he feels the same-" Niki scoffed.

"Have you heard the way he talks to you? He's almost in love with you, Nyla." Niki told her sibling, who paused.

"W-what?" Nyla asked quietly. Niki stared at her.

"You can't tell?" Niki said softly to Nyla, who shook her head. "He really, really likes you, Ny. I'm not kidding. He's talked about you before to Wil. He told me. He didn't really tell me exactly what he said, but Wil said that Jack really liked you. He could hear it in his voice." Niki said softly. Nyla stared at her, silent. Niki studied their face, trying to read the emotion on it. "What're you scared of, Nyla?" Nyla looked at their hands.

"What if he's just like everyone else. I wouldn't be able to take it." Nyla whispered. Niki frowned and put her hand on her siblings shoulder.

"He isn't. Trust me, I know Jack. He isn't like them." Niki reassured her. Nyla smiled.

"I trust you, Nik." Niki smiled.

"There we go, there's the smile. Now, lets eat."

Nyla strummed at their guitar the next day, once again on the phone with Jack. "You know, I have some family that lives pretty close to you." Jack said, making Nyla look up.

"Do you now?" Nyla asked, raising an eyebrow. Jack nodded.

"I do. I'm heading over to visit them tomorrow. I was thinking... maybe, if you wanted to, we could meet." Jack said, studying Nyla carefully. Nyla smirked.

"Why wouldn't I want to?" Nyla responded, making Jack smile.

"Where and when?" She said, raising a brow. They set up a place and a time. They were excited to see each other. They both knew what they wanted, but neither admitted it. Not yet, at least.