Chapter Thirteen: New Year's Eve

Start from the beginning

My mother emerged from the kitchen, wearing a Madeline, holiday-plaid dress.

I disguised my discomfort, "Hey!"

"Babe!" Mom beams, opening the door further. They grin at one another before she brings him into her embrace, then they share a quick kiss.

I huff an uncomfortable laugh, glancing off to the side.

Then, I follow them into the kitchen, "We're not having a big dinner tonight. Kat and Damian won't be back until tomorrow morning. They're visiting her parents."

Mr. Mazzara nods along, setting the plate on the counter, "Oh, I know. I wanted to come over here, and personally invite you guys to the Rotary Club again." He announces, offering a kind smile.

My face fell in disappointment, instantly turning my head to look at my mom, but her back is turned, too busy stirring mashed potatoes on the stove.

"I'm kidding!" He blurts, laughing.

Mom turns around, laughing, "Yeah. We're staying here! Just our family, and his parents!" She grins, and he nods along.

I force a smile, "Can't wait."

(Bianca: in front of the stairs)

"Our family" which of course, doesn't include my dad." She scoffs and rolls her eyes.

****************************
Another knock was heard following dinner. I did not even have to open the door this time to know out who it is.

"That's still not what we practiced! How are you not getting it?" Carlos snapped, the annoyance on his features audible.

When I open the door, Seb is holding a harmonica and is grinning nervously, with his displeased boyfriend to his left.

"Not going the way you planned?" I assume, slightly amused.

"Merry Christmas!" The blond beams.

My best friend shakes his head, finally laughing, "Not at all. We just scared an old couple!"

We share a laugh as I close the door behind me to join them outside.

"Well, I'm happy to see you. Mr. Mazzara is here." The last sentiment was quiet, and I gave them a horrified look, which they returned while nodding along.

"Thanksgiving 2.0?" Seb jokes.

"Every day is." Carlos playfully points out.

I huff a laugh, "Unfortunately. You know, I'm already upset that my dad isn't here. Then, at dinner, Mr. Mazzara and my mom were, like, lowkey talking about marriage." I scoff and roll my eyes.

Shock crosses Seb's face, "He'd be your stepdad?!" I nod along, with wide eyes in horror.

Carlos huffs, closing his eyes as he prepares to speak, before meeting my gaze and taking my hands. "I am so sorry, Blanche." He jests, and I chuckle gently.

"Come caroling with us, Bianca!" Seb suggests, grinning.

I cross my arms, playfully shaking my head, "Oh, because it's been going well so far?" I tease.