Chapter Thirty-three

Start from the beginning

Sitting forward in his seat, he said, "There was this woman. I tried to get off the bus but she stood in my way and gave me this- this look. She looked scary, like she was, I dunno..."

"Unhinged."

Both people turned to Sirius.

Remus' fingers were linked firmly together, his elbows on his knees. He observed Sirius' gritted jaw, the way his fists had begun to shake with how tight they were clenched. "Babe?"

"I'm going to fucking kill her." Sirius spat before turning on his heel.

Eyebrows raised, Remus began to stand up but watched where Sirius was going first.

"Ah, Sirius," Arthur nodded quickly, his hands in his tattered blazer pockets. "What can I help you with?"

"Bellatrix was there," Sirius said shortly, a scowl twisting his handsome face. "She was an accomplice and she got away."

Arthur's face slackened and he didn't say a word as Sirius stalked away, out of the old house.

Remus quickly hurried after him, muttering to Harry, "I've got to stop a homicide. Stay here with the Order."

Shoulders slumping, Harry watched as his godfathers all but ran out of the front door, leaving him feeling more alone than ever. If he leaned slightly to the right, he could just see Remus catching up with Sirius in the dying front yard of Sirius' childhood home, grabbing his shoulder and pulling him so that they were face to face.

Harry sank back in his chair, attempting to tune out all the noise around him.

"Harry." Arthur sat down in the chair Remus had previously inhabited, no traces of his usual humour on his face. Around the room, most conversations had ceased and everyone looked on apprehensively.

Harry had to stifle a sigh, wishing this would all just be over. "Mr Weasley, I feel like whatever you're going to tell me I'm not going to have much say in the matter, so can you please just get it over with?"

Mr Weasley blinked a few times. "Er, of course. Harry, we... we have to take you to a secure location where we won't have any mishaps like what happened today."

Whatever he was expecting to be told, it wasn't this. Harry pushed his glasses up his nose. "Wait. You're... taking me to a safe house?"

"It's a very nice cottage," Arthur said honestly, turning up his palms. "You know my Bill. He and his wife have volunteered their house. They'll be there the whole time, and so will a few different Order members."

Harry wanted to argue. He wanted to say, I'm not letting anyone put themselves in danger for me. He wanted to get up and run away. "Okay," he said flatly.

Forcing a smile, Arthur clapped Harry's shoulder. "We'll have someone escort you home so that you can pack. We leave tomorrow morning."

"Tomorrow?" Harry repeated, his throat unusually dry. "But... how long do I pack for?"

Mr Weasley's face was grave. "We're not sure when it will be safe again, Harry. Depending on specific plans, it may be sooner than later. But it's safest to assume the worst and go in being prepared."

Nodding slowly, Harry bowed his head and waited until the older man would leave. Eventually, he did. Harry pulled out his phone.

Harry: hey

Almost immediately, he got a reply.

Hermione: Harry, oh my god, are you okay? Ginny told us what happened.

Harry: yeah im fine. promise

wheres ron?

Hermione: Working. I'll tell him you're online.

Harry: u two together?

Hermione: What? What do you mean?

Harry: in the same place. you said youll tell him im here

Hermione: oh

I mean, yes. We are both at the cafe. I'm studying - now texting you - and he's on at his shift.

Furrowing his eyebrows, Harry tried to figure out how else Hermione could have interpreted his question, but decided it wasn't important.

Harry: ok thats no worries

Hermione: hary r uok we heard from gin cuz f & g told her cos they were at grimolsds place when charlie called dad

its ron btw. took herms phone

Harry: yeah i gathered that much

Hermione: so? hru

Harry: well mate i almost got shot so i could be better

Hermione: at lest if u got shot ud have a cool story to tel chicks

sick scars

Harry: youre right. let me find the death eater again and tell him to aim a little more to the left

Hermione: Harry, I'm sorry, that was hardly appropriate. Ron is sorry, too.

no im nto fuck u

Very mature.

thnak u
Harry: guys ive gotta go - theyre taking me back to the dursleys so that i can pack my stuff

Hermione: alalsoi ;; udjm

That was Ronald.

Pack your stuff? Where are you going?

Harry: a safe house, apparently. im sure theyll tell you

Hermione: fuck

om g hermon just swore

har did u c that she jus t swore

That was very clearly not me. But Harry, that's intense. Do you need help packing? Ron's shift doesn't end for another few hours but I can come over to help you.

Harry: that would be good. thank you, hermione. ill text when im ready

Hermione: Okay, we will see you later. Stay safe, Harry.

try not to get shot agen

Harry: bye lmao