chapter one- promise me

Start from the beginning

Kaylani sat quickly across from Draco and began to eat the piece of toast on her plate, not wanting to upset her father anymore than she already had today, god knows what that had led to before. "Good" Lucius said, his voice becoming calmer.

Draco's head lowered and he leant over his food, eating it as he avoided his fathers gaze. Narcissa on the other hand, gave Kaylani a sympathetic look as she handed her a plate of fruit.

"Now that you've decided to respect me- I can finally tell you all what I've been waiting to say." Lucius said dropping his fork beside his plate and folding his hands.

Draco's eyes instantly shot up and met Kaylani's. Lucius didn't notice the sudden stare between his children as he continued to speak slowly.

"As you know, we had a visitor a few weeks ago" he said, pushing his plate of food away from him.

Kaylani thought back to the unfamiliar man who joined them for dinner a few weeks prior. He had never said his name and solely spoke to Lucius. He did however, exchange a few glances with Kaylani that night. She found herself cringing under his gaze. He was dirty and sweaty with shaggy brown hair and bags under his eyes that gave Kaylani a sick feeling in her stomach.

A few nights after the encounter, she had told Draco of the uncomfort the man caused her and she assumed that's why he was staring at her now.

"He will be joining you at Hogwarts this year" Lucius said, his eyes darting between them. "You two must avoid him at all costs" he continued. "Although you won't recognize him"

Draco stared over at Lucius confused, but not saying a word.

"How are we supposed to avoid him if we don't know what he looks like" Kaylani asked, putting her fork down.

Her mother shot her a quick glance as if telling her to stop asking questions, so Kaylani allowed her eyes to fall back towards her plate.

"Unfourtunately I can't discuss this any further darling" Lucius said as placed his staff down on the table and stood up. He began to walk towards where his daughter was seated, his mouth making it's way to the side of Kaylani's head as he stood behind her.

Draco's eyes didn't break away from his father's lips as they began to whisper into Kaylani's ear.

"Can you promise me something?" Lucius asked, his voice becomming softer. "You put your name in the goblet"

He stood up, stiffening his back and adjusting his robes, allowing a forced smile to fill his face.

"I'll be waiting to see you off to the station" he said, walking back towards his spot at the table and grabbing his staff. "Hurry up, we are far enough behind schedule already"

He walked away out the room, muttering something to the house elf. Draco tried to listen, craining his neck and leaning slightly backwards in his chair.

"Draco, it is rude to eavesdrop" Narcissa tapped him lightly on the head and he stopped watching Lucius.

She stood up, removing her hand from Draco and began to walk out of the room after Lucius. "Join us when you're ready children" she said, beaming at the two beautiful fruits of her, before disappearing and leaving the room dead silent.

"I told you" Draco said almost inaudibly.

Kaylani remained silent for a few moments after their parents disappeared from the room, thinking about the way her father had acted all morning.

Draco adjusted in his seat, folding his hands in front of him and looking up at his older sister, giving her just enough comfort to fall from her daze.