twenty-one

"Oikawa-san?"

"Oikawa-san?"

Y/N stared at her senior who let out a sheepish laugh. Her mother nagged her to let him enter the house. She then noticed how both of them were lightly drenched. She hurriedly opened the door wider to let them in.

"Y/N! Look who I met by chance!"

She took the bag of groceries from her mother's hands while the older woman gestured Oikawa to come inside further.

"Oikawa-kun will stay here for tonight. It's raining cats and dogs outside. I don't want him to get drenched and catch cold."

Apparently, he had helped her mother with the groceries and it started raining out of sudden on their way to her home.

Oikawa stood in the hallway awkwardly while Y/N's mother disappeared in one of the rooms to bring him some clothes. Her father had to stay back at his office because of the rain.

He returned from changing clothes and sat at the couch in the living room. Her mother suggested him to sleep there because they were lacking rooms which he agreed. She hung his clothes for drying.

Y/N appeared from the kitchen with two different coffee mugs in her hands. He cleared the table politely and laid the coasters as she put down the coffee mug in front of him. She took a seat a little farther away from him on the same couch. One of her leg was folded on the couch while the other was dangling down.

"Taste it and tell me how's it."

He brought the mug near his lips and took a quick sip because of the hotness of the beverage. His taste buds seem to lit up at the perfectly made extra sweet coffee. The way he loved it.

"Just the way I love." He smiled before putting down the mug. She smiled in relief. Her gesture made him recall the words from Yui who nagged him to not to be picky with his tastes. While his own soulmate never gave a thought about his likes and dislikes, Y/N always kept those in her mind.

The sound of thunder boomed in the house and the window panes clattered. The downpour which started as drizzle was now heavy. They sat in silence enjoying the warm and bitter-sweet coffee along with the rain.

"Y/N-chan.... I am thinking of going to Argentina after high school." He muttered while tracing the edge of the mug with his pointer finger. His gaze was fixed on his finger. He wanted to see her reaction. She gingerly kept the mug down before sitting comfortably on the couch with her legs crossed.

"That's grea!!"

His eyes widened at her excited tone. He looked up to see her smiling widely with her hands clasped together. Her eyes had the usual shine which he had always loved. It sent his heart fluttering.

"I am happy for you... I know you are going to achieve your dreams. And also, play on your idol's team.... Ahhh I am happy!"

Her words contrasted with those of Yui's.

"It was just a match. Why the hell are you weeping over it? Why are you going to Argentina just because of a mere game? Leaving me here??? It's not like a game would make you any successful!"

He watched as she gushed and he would not lie that she was being geniune. She was happy for him. Happy that he would be a step nearer to his dream. His lips turned upwards in a small smile.

"Thank you Y/N-chan."

She got up to put the mugs in the sink and then, went back to the couch. What she didn't noticed that he shifted from his place and now, the gap between them was a bit shorter. She leaned towards him to pick the remote to turn on the TV.

Before her hand could reach the device, she felt arms being wrapped around her waist. She could feel a heavy weight on her shoulder and a hot breath tickling her neck along with some soft strands of hair. She was stunned at his action. He felt her stiffen under his touch.

"Please..... Can we stay like this...?"

Her heart clenched at his request. She wanted to hug him tightly but she couldn't. She felt her hands being tied down by the thought of her soulmate. The thought that the person hugging her that moment was someone she deeply loved but was not her desitned one.

It was not like he didn't feel the same way. It was not like his heart would not twist in his chest in pain and longing. Surely, he had always stopped himself from making any move but that time, he couldn't restrain himself anymore. She might not be his soulmate but he loved her dearly.

At that moment, for him, it was only her. He let himself forget about everything and just focus on her.

She stared at his brown hair which she had always found fluffy. Her hands lowered and hovered above his back for she was restraining herself.

"Please...."

It only took a small plea from him to make her forget everything. No mark, no soulmate, no Ryu, no world, no fate, no destiny, nothing. It was him. Just him.

She gave up.

Her hands tightened the hold around his neck as she knelt in front of him. Her face was buried in his neck while his was in hers. His hold around her waist tightened as if he was afraid of letting her go. Her blue hair tickled his forehead while his breath tickled her neck.

They enjoyed each other's embrace. The warmth, the comfort and the safety they were feeling was something that they never felt before. The scent of cologne, the scent of her hair and the scent of rain soothed their aching hearts.

Moments later, his hold loosened around her waist and so did hers. They pulled away but their hearts were still craving for the warmth. With her hands still wrapped around his neck and his wrapped around her waist, they stared at each other's faces The lightening outside illuminated their faces which had blush painted on them.

She never noticed how she was sitting on his lap. He never noticed how their chests were almost touching. For both of them were drowning in each other's eyes. Their hearts were fluttering at the staring. Their stomachs were filled with butterflies.

Her gaze shifted from his eyes to his nose and then, finally to his lips. He was not stupid. He noticed her gaze and so did he stared at her plump pink lips. He started leaning in which soon, she followed. Their lips parted. The gap got lesser and lesser.

She could feel his breath on her lips. He could feel her hands tightening again around her neck. His hold on her waist tightened again bringing her closer to him. Their lips grazed over each other. She tilted her head and so did he. They almost felt the feathery touch of their lips.

However.

His lips closed and he pulled away. His hands were no longer on her waist while hers just rested on his shoulders. He faced sideways and his eyes were shut closed.

Suprised by his sudden move, all she could do was to stare in bewilderment. She never looked so vulnerable as she did that moment. Her eyes were swirling with pain and.

"We should go to sleep."

Collecting herself, she nodded and muttered a small, barely audible 'good night'. She felt that she was burst out crying if she uttered even a single word.

And that night not only the sky cried but their hearts too.

»»----- ★ - ★ -----««