Part One ~ Dear Chato

Almost a year had passed, and Chato was just starting to get himself together

          Almost a year had passed, and Chato was just starting to get himself together. He stayed in New York, found an old friend that owed him a favour who helped him get a place of his own, and got a job working for a butcher - cutting meat in the back where no one could see him, and paid under the table. It wasn't perfect, but it was as good as it could get, it was still his second chance. His apartment was small, but it always felt empty; there were no pictures on the wall, no decorations. It was just him, and the few belongings he had acquired during his time there. It was lonely, and it was hard. Lately, every day got harder; it was almost the twins' birthday, his children - his dead children - would have been eight.

          It was so, so hard.                                                               

          But that was all about to change.

          "Who is it?" He boomed at the door - no one visited him, no one should know his location. Another three knocks hit the wood a few seconds later, quieter this time. He looked through the peep-hole in the door and saw no one. Another two knocks. He grabbed the bat he kept by the entrance, made sure the chain was secured on the door, and opened up. For a second he thought no one was there, and he gripped the bat tighter in his hand, but then he looked down. "Who the hell are you?"

          It was a girl, maybe about four or five, staring up at him in sadness and confusion, maybe a little fear too. Was this some kind of trick to get him to open up?

          Who are you? He repeated, softer this time, but still weary.

          The child tugged on her little backpack, staring at her Hello Kitty sneakers as she handed him an envelope.

          Chato sighed deeply, closing the door quickly and taking off the lock chain. When he opened the door again she was still there. Harshly – maybe a little too harshly – he took the envelope. It was addressed to him. There was no directions, no street name – only his name.

          Standing aside, Chato gestured for the girl to enter. She stayed quiet and followed his directions, sitting on the old beaten couch. Still wary, he checked down the hallway for anyone who could be responsible for the girl; but finding no one, he re-entered his apartment and locked the door, just in case.

          He stood there for about a minute, looking between the girl and the envelope in his hands. It worried him that there was no address – that whoever had dropped off the kid knew who and where he was.

          Before he could overthink it, he ripped open the envelope, relieved to find it was a letter, and not some kind of tracking device. But the words on the page sent his heart into his stomach all the same.                                                                          

Chato,

Ive written this letter a hundred times over these last few years, but I still dont know what to say.

I know youre probably overthinking this, but dont worry about how I found you. I was never too far away.

This is (Y/N). Her birthday is June 1st. , she just turned six. Shes yours. Chato had to sit down, gripping the paper tightly in his fist. The kid was his? No – that wasnt possible. She was six, hed been married for years before she was born, there was no way, there was no one-

          Oh. No there was someone. Just once. But once was enough. I know this is a shock, and it was never meant to happen, but its the truth. Ive included her birth certificate, its all the proof I have.

Im sorry to dump all this on you, Im not going to say I was going to tell you because honestly Im not sure I was. I wrote this down because I dont think I could've told you this to your face, and maybe if I was there you wouldnt have accepted her. But I need you to take her. Take her? No, this wasnt happening. He couldnt take her, he could barely even get by on his own, and he sure as hell wasnt ready to be a father. Not again. He wasnt worthy of that again.

She cant stay with me anymore, I dont know what else to do. Lately shes been showing signs of your gift, she cant control it and I cant help her.

I need you to take care of her. I know youre a good guy, and what happened between us was a one time mistake, but she needs someone now, and that someone cant be me. I know Im asking a lot, but I have no other choice, you know what they do to people like you here. Just dont let her grow up thinking I abandoned her, remind her that I love her and Im trying to do whats best. Dont look for me, its not safe.

I really am sorry.

- Elizabeth

          Elizabeth. He hadnt thought of her in years, hed all but forgotten her existence. The undercover cop trying to mole her way into his gang back in Gotham – shed done a good job of it too, but after their affair, she revealed herself to him, and neither could go on. Her case was blown and Chato couldnt remember a rage like the one hed felt that day; he might have done something terrible, but he didnt hurt women. Not then.

          His wife never found out about the affair, but the guilt ate him up for the longest time.

          Breaking his train of thought, Chato sat back and looked back at the kid. He could see some resemblance, the shape of her brown and curve of her cheeks werent unlike his at that age. She looked sad, and afraid.

          Clearing his throat a little, he tried to think of something to say. So your names (Y/N), huh? Her head shot up at the sound of her name, little pigtails swinging by her ears as she nodded nervously. And you uh it had been a long time since hed talked to a kid, do you know who I am? The girl nodded again, gripping the straps of her backpack again. You dont say much, do ya? She stared, looking a little guilty.

          Chato leaned on the arm of the chair, rubbing a hand over his face and sighing deeply. Was he ready for this?

          The kid swung her legs in little circles, still wearing her backpack and sitting on the end of the sofa, looking stiff and uncomfortable.

          It seems he didnt really have much choice.