Chapter 1

Cyd winced as Diesel licked her broken nose. She pulled him away from her face, and he stuck out her tongue at him. She felt her features soften, and for that moment she forgot where she was. Forgot why she was here. The laugh she let out was cut short by an impatient honking sound. She turned around to shoot a glare at the car window. Her mother gave her a look that practically screamed 'hurry up'.

Cyd gulped, shifting Diesel into her other arm and staring at the house. Her fear was punctuated by another honk. Sighing, she found her way to the door and knocked.

"I'll get it," A muffled voice said.

Her voice. The reason Cyd was in this mess. The reason her heart pounded in her chest as she held onto her dog. The reason she felt a dull pain coming from the direction of her nose.

The door swung open to reveal Shelby Marcus. Shelby fucking Marcus, along with a pretty smile painted on her face. It was too perfect, too wide to be real. But the faux smile was replaced with recognition, then morphed into pure disgust.

'You," Shelby bit out.

"Yes, me."

"What do you want? You gonna punch me again?" Shelby demanded.

The retort already formed was cut short by Diesel leaping from her embrace. It was all a haze, Cyd reaching down blindly for her dog, the sound of growling and a high pitched squeal coming from Shelby. Shelby leaping up, her shoe in Diesel's jaws as he began running from the blonde.

That's my boy, Cyd thought.

"Your rat stole my shoe!"

'Rat.' The word echoed around in her head. Diesel was the only thing keeping her tethered to this earth, other than Naldo. Without Diesel, Cyd would be dead. She wouldn't- couldn't let Shelby fucking Marcus insult him.

Then Diesel ran out of Shelby's open back door, the shoe still in his jaws. Her dog - who had a track record for getting lost and driving her insane with panic - was in an unknown backyard, in an unknown neighborhood.

Cyd barely registered herself, shoving Shelby to the side and running out the door. Fast footsteps coming behind her indicated Shelby had followed suit.

Cyd scanned Shelby's backyard, panicking when she didn't see him right away. On the driveway, there was a trailer. The door had just clicked shut when she ran outside, and she bolted for that first.

The trailer looked like some sort of science lab, there were vials of unknown liquid and a giant alien propped up on the table. Across from that Alien sat Naldo, who was holding Diesel in their arms. Cyd let out a breath she didn't know she was holding at the sight of her dog, safe and sound in her friend's arms.

"Hi Cyd! Did you come here to help Barry with his laser too?" Naldo asked, and Diesel stared up at her, looking pretty dumb with Shelby's shoe still in his mouth.

"Naldo, what did you agree to do?" She glanced at the laser, not wanting Naldo to get hurt again like last time.

Last time Naldo had helped Barry with one of his experiments, they got burnt from some sort of chemical. They could have died from Barry's recklessness, and because Naldo was so easily accepting of facts like these they forgave Barry without a second thought. Cyd just wanted to avoid her only friend getting hurt, but because they let Barry order them around like they were another one of his lab rats, there was no chance of that. Barry, who had never cared a lick for Naldo's safety, was the only one keeping them safe in this lab.

Cyd was about to delve into a lecture- no, empowering speech as to why Naldo should stop letting Barry push them around when she felt herself being shoved away. She fell into a silver box, and it opened revealing a bright blue substance that shone with some ethereal light. Cyd's eyes widened in something akin to fear.

Cyd ran for her dog, wanting to hold onto him in this burst of fear. She stumbled into the laser, and it pointed right at the substance. Cyd pulled Shelby away from a struggling Naldo who was holding onto Diesel with a tight grip. The shoe flew from Shelby's hand and hit the laser.

A bright white light hit the blue substance which caused a blue light to ricochet off of every possible item in the room. It then hit both Shelby and Cyd, who were paralyzed in fear and holding onto each other.

"Woah, what just happened?" Naldo asked.