I Don't Need You Anymore

He walked into the living room in the fine morning with a cup of coffee and groaned. “Another day.” He had said to himself. Those kids sure had tired the heck outta him. His favorite time was at nighttime, the only time of the day where he got to relax. Sure, he got the time off from them while they were at school, but it was now summer when they had school off and he had to do chores in the meantime anyway. Anytime they would wake up, and order him to do just about everything for them. They were what you called, “lazy and selfish”, but for the little girl that he also has to take care of was what you called, “demanding, cruel and spoiled”. He hated her most of all. The other one was a stupid little boy who found entertainment in little things. He was nothing compared to the little girl though, who found entertainment in the pain and misfortune of others. Anyway, as the caretaker and so-called “best friend” of them, who was actually the Grim Reaper, he awaited for them to wake up and start off the day.

It had not been long when, Billy, the foolish little boy walked into the room in his Sassy Cat pajamas, begging for breakfast.

“Gosh darn it boy!” Grim stood up angrily. “Stop doing dat! It’s really annoying! I’ll make it for you mon!”

Billy cheered happily. “Thanks Grim, you are so kind!”

Grim facepalmed and walked into the kitchen. He came out five minutes later with a bowl of cereal in his arms.

“Ooh, my favorite!”

Grim set it on the table right in front of him. Someone like Billy would easily go with a quick, sugary breakfast without arguing. Mandy, the little girl, on the other hand, would instead rather have something fancy like eggs and bacon or omelets, which were heathier but harder to make.

He gobbled it right up, like usual, as Mandy walked through the open front door. Now, who would leave that open? His dad of course, who wasn’t very bright.

Grim was surprised by her suddenly walking out the front door, but he didn’t mind. It would happen sooner or later anyway.

“Grim, I want to talk to you about something.” Mandy interrupted his thinking.

                He sighed because he knew it was going to be a long day. “Yes, mon?”

                She looked straight at him, and he knew something was wrong. “Well, how do I put this?” She started off.

                Oh dear, he thought. This isn’t going to be very good.

                “I decided I don’t need you anymore.” The words shot right at him, clear and stern which caught him off guard.

                “W-what?!” His mouth hung open.

                “You heard, what I said, I don’t need you anymore.”