Mickey

Prom's coming up, I know, I know. And Teddy's mom is probably expecting me to ask her and...and it's not like I don't want to go with my best friend in the entire world. I really, really do. But not for the reason I should.

There's this guy at school. He was new this year, and I think Teddy is completely enamored with him. I mean, who could blame her? His hair is fluffier than mine - but not longer! His eyes are brighter than mine, a sky I could get lost in and not complain. And he's my height, so not so much of a difference there.

Alex is perfect. And I'm...I'm just Mickey. All I've got going for me is that I've been Teddy's best friend since diapers. I can't imagine she would say no to me, but if Alex got there first.....well, she wouldn't say no to him, either. She's too nice for that. And who would say no to Alex, anyway? He's so...so dreamy.

I'm staring at my math homework, thinking about my dilemma and tapping my pencil against my cheek. I wasn't good at math, so to speak, but I didn't mind it. It would be more enjoyable if Alex were here - I mean, if Teddy were here.

What the Hell.

I set my forehead on my table, taking a deep breath. My dark hair falls over me, itching my ears. Disgruntled, I sit up and fold my arms. Screw this. I've got a poster and some markers hanging around somewhere, I'm sure.

Let's ask Teddy to prom.

My art skills are par. Not subpar, not great. Just...good. After half an hour of pinterest scrolling - Teddy showed me the practicality of pinterest when we were thirteen - I finally decide on my phrase of choice: "I'd be BEARy happy if you went to prom with me!" I thought it was fitting as Teddy's nickname had always been Teddy Bear...and mine Mickey Mouse, unfortunately. Fortunately. I'm not sure how I feel about it still.

I hold my breath, staring at the finished poster. I stand and go to my closet, taking out a teddy bear I had bought a while ago, originally saving it for a birthday gift...but this works, too, I guess.

Finally, I take out my phone. I want to make sure Teddy is actually home...otherwise that may be a little awkward for me. I text her mom, humming softly to myself.

Me: Is Teddy Home? I want to propose to her

Agh! Stupid Autocorrect

Me: prom-pose! Prom...I want to ask her to prom.

My phone chimes a few seconds later.

Mama Lake: Yes! She's on the front lawn right now.

Outside? Oh, this was gonna be nothing like the movies. So far, this was totally perfect.

"Momma?" I call, stepping out into the hallway.

"Yes?" My mother calls back, but I couldn't tell where her voice was coming from. These hallways were always so echo-prone.

"I'm going to Teddy's house to ask her to prom!"

"Ooh!" My mother steps out of her bedroom, hurrying over to me. She hugs me, planting a huge kiss on my forehead. "Good luck, make sure you tell me what she says!"

"Of course, Momma." I smile, kissing her cheek. "Bye, now."

We both laugh, then she ushers me towards the door. I grab a hoodie - my favorite one, blue with a cool circle design on the front - and hurry out to my car. I feel...happy, but also very nervous, wondering if Alex had already secured a date. I take a deep breath, and start my car, driving the familiar roads to my best friends house.

A song I recognized came on the radio, but I didn't know where from. I listen closely, thinking, when suddenly it hits me. One day, when Alex and I had been hanging out after school waiting for Teddy, he had shown me this song, saying it reminded him of me. I didn't know what he meant, but it was a good song. I hum the melody, listening to the lyrics.