One hundred and thirteen

Start from the beginning

"Where?" Arizona asked.

"San Diego," Erin said.

"Why?" Arizona yawned.

"Meredith," Erin said.

"What?" Arizona asked.

"I'll call you when I land. Please just trust me on this," Erin said.

"You want me to come with you?" Arizona sat up, turning the lamp on.

"No, I got this. I can fly for another two weeks. I'll be back as soon as I can and I will call. I promise," Erin said, grabbing her passport, car keys, purse and phone before hurrying as fast as she could out of the room to the airport.

"Bear!" Zola's shouts filled her ears as Erin walked onto Meredith's ward. She smiled widely when she saw her niece and nephew running towards her.

"Zozo! Bailey boy," Erin carefully knelt down and hugged them tightly.

"You're having a baby like mommy did?" Bailey asked.

"I'm having two. Twins," Erin laughed.

"Erin Grey?" the social worker stepped over.

"That's me," Erin said, easing herself up and shaking her hand.

"Your sister is in the first room on the left. I'll stay with the kids," she said.

"Thank you. Kids, I'll be back," Erin said. They nodded and watched her walk down the hallway.

She stepped into Meredith's room, watching as her sister looked up from where she was fiddling with her IV.

"I should be pissed at you," Erin said, stepping into the room, "But I'm just so glad that you're alive so I'm gonna let that go," she said.

"Good, 'cause your anger with your hormones is horrific," Meredith chuckled weakly. Erin pulled her into a careful hug, feeling like she could breathe properly for the first time in almost a year.

"I'm so glad you're okay," Erin said.

"Have you met your niece yet?" Meredith asked, nodding at the baby incubator beside her bed.

"Not yet," Erin smiled. She lifted the baby girl out the cot and cradled her carefully against her chest. "Does she have a name?" she asked.

"Ellis. Ellis Erin Shepherd," Meredith said. Erin smiled as she turned around to look at her sister.

"You do realise we have another tag team on our hands with Ellis and the twins. It'll be Archie, Zola and Sofia all over again," Erin said.

"I know. Poor Bailey and Rueben are outnumbered on either side," Meredith chuckled. Erin shrugged, walking over and handing Ellis to Meredith.

"She's beautiful," Erin said.

"I didn't think I could do it. Part of me thought, what if I have this baby and just die? And then she arrived, and I saw her face, and I saw him in her. She's beautiful," Meredith said.

"She is," Erin smiled. "He'd love her, Mermaid. More than anything," she said.

"I know. What about you? How long have you got left? A month, right?" she said.

"Start of February, yeah," Erin said. They sat in silence for a minute. "Are you gonna come home? Or am I gonna be allowed to visit, at least?" she asked.

"I'm coming home. But not for a month. I can't fly with a newborn and I can't drive, either, so we have to wait a while. I might be there for the twins, if you don't go in early. I mean, you have a notorious history for giving birth to your kids way too early," Meredith said pointedly.