They both look at the sleeping man. He's breathing lighter than usual, but that is probably due to the cold contact he has with her. His peacefulness mocks her because she knows it's only temporary.

"I can help him," she whimpers, her voice nearing a sob. "Bucky, I'm so sorry."

"You care for him," Azrael notices.

It's not a question, though the way he says it makes Claire shiver.

"Is that against one of your rules?" She snaps, "Am I not allowed to care for the living?"

"Not if it means disrupting the natural flow of life. The sacred timeline may not be my responsibility, but the actions of an undead soul reflect on me and me alone." He pauses, "I've warned you once already, Claire."

"You have nothing to worry about. It didn't work," she grumbles.

"Still..."

Bucky's hand falls through her grasp, as does her hand on his face. The warmth of life is removed from her body violently and she suddenly becomes invisible again.

"Hey!" She exclaims, "My day wasn't over!"

"It is now," he replies calmly. "I told you there would be repercussions to disobeying me, my child. Consider this punishment a minor one. They will only get worse from here."

Even after all these years, she has not missed his annoying god complex. The angel chuckles lightly at her thoughts, but she ignores him.

Steve learns about Bucky's capture a few weeks later. He organizes a solo rescue mission with the help of Peggy Carter and Howard Stark. Claire is there every step of the way, but the distance is apparent.

She's been in a sour mood ever since Azrael's visit. Being reminded that she has no control over her own fate might be one of the most challenging things she has ever experienced. Maybe if she had any idea what her unfinished business was, then there wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, she gave up on that a long time ago.

One thing does lighten the mood though: Bucky has been rescued and is now safe with his best friend. She thought—no, she hoped that this experience might have changed both of their opinions on fighting in the war, but the mission actually helps spur them on. Now, they have a legitimate enemy named, Johann Schmidt, also known as the Red Skull.

Steve comes from around the corner looking for Bucky. His sits at the bar alone, unaware that Claire is beside him, while their fellow soldiers sing a tavern song behind them.

"See? I told you. They're all idiots," Bucky exclaims.

"How about you? You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death?" Steve asks, taking the seat beside him.

"Hell, no," his friend replies. "That little guy from Brooklyn who was too dumb not to run away from a fight. I'm following him. But you're keeping the outfit, right?"

"You know what? It's kind of growing on me," he laughs.

The bar quickly grows quiet as Agent Peggy Carter comes in. She wears a tight red dress that looks beautiful on her, and everyone in the room knows it. Including her.

"Captain," she greets Steve as they all rise respectfully.

"Agent Carter," he says.

Bucky stands behind her and catches a glance at her behind. Claire shakes her head knowingly, "Ma'am."

"Howard has some equipment for you to try. Tomorrow morning?" She tells Steve.

He nods, "Sounds good."