33rd Chapter: HIS LOSS

Zacznij od początku

"Kuan, he's alive.."

Haikuan paused for a moment and returned his eyes to Zhan.

"I know. He's standing in front of me.."

Silence came after.

"Where are you..?"

"At uncle's.."

"Have you told him..?"

"I was about to.."

"Don't let him leave. Wait for me. I'm coming.."

"Yibo..wait.."

Just like that, Yibo hanged up the call and the older can only look at Zhan in worry.

"Zhan.."

"I know. I'll wait.."

"Come with me inside. I'll show you something.."

"Okay.."

Zhan picked up his things and followed Haikuan, but, furrowed when the other pulled out a key from his pocket and opened the gate. Then it hit him, if it is locked on the outside, it means that no one is here? But, where is everybody? Zhan thought. He had been calling for someone to open it, rang the doorbell repeatedly, but nothing until Haikuan arrived.

"Where's everybody..?"

Haikuan didn't answer and let Zhan see for himself, and when the older opened the gate, Zhan's mouth dropped. He froze on his spot when he finally had a look at the place. He couldn't lift his foot until he felt a hand touch his shoulder. He stared at Haikuan with eyes full of shock and curiosity, and right there, he knew that something bad must've happened. Both stepped inside, and as they walk, Zhan freely roamed his eyes around to examine, feeling upset by what he was seeing. The spot where flowers used to bloom everywhere had withered, trees have been taken down, the grass that once so healthy to look at is now dead, leaves scatter all over the stone path which obviously, had been left unattended for a long time.

The fountain is no longer working and only a small amount of filthy water on its pool where dead insects were floating was left. As they step at the stairs, Zhan couldn't help but get anxious, fearing the worse. And finally, when they made it inside the house, Zhan couldn't believe his eyes. The living was messy, the paints were cracked, spider webs boarded the ceiling and furniture were covered with a white cloth. Zhan put down the things he was holding at the table where the photographs were used to be placed on, and turned to Haikuan, with tears almost at the edge of his eye.

"Kuan, what happened..? Where's everybody..? Why is this place like this..?"

"This place had been abandoned for a year and a half now.."

"Abandoned..? Why..? And uncle..? Where is he..?"

"Uncle..died, Zhan. 7 months after we found out about yours.."

Zhan's heart sank, and his knees suddenly felt weak. He doesn't what gave them the idea that he passed away, but, it didn't matter for him at that moment. Then, he suddenly thought of his ex-lover. What the man must've felt when he thought that he lost him, then after that his uncle, the pain and trauma Yibo had to go through again. He wanted to cry for him and Haikuan, for the old man that treated him like a son who he wished to see again, but, was too late and didn't even have the chance to say goodbye to. Haikuan worried that Zhan might be feeling sick again, hurriedly came to the man's side to comfort him and assisted him on the sofa to seat.