"My car keys?" Wren's eyebrows drew in with confusion as she took the piece of metal dangling from his index finger. "I told you dad, the thing is shit. I can't even drive for more than fifteen minutes without having to stop and add antifreeze."

"That's exactly why I replaced the coolant reservoir and changed the oil." Jax explained, a smug smile at his lips. "Should run smooth as butter now." He assured as Moonie began fidgeting with his watch, the six year old beyond bored with all of the grow-up talk.

"Dad, you really didn't have to." Wren looked between the car key and her father, knowing how expensive repair parts could get—even though she doubt he payed full price for any of it considering he'd been serving as the local auto shop's manager for the last five years.

"Of course I did, you only graduate high school once." Jax shrugged casually, but before Wren could properly offer her gratitude, Moonie was tugging on the sleeve of her graduation gown.

"It's Natalie." She voiced brightly, pointing out the familiar face among all the other teenagers wearing the same lackluster caps and gowns.

"Oh, I see her." Wren acknowledged, following Moonie's gaze over to where her cousin stood, smiling widely and showcasing her pearly whites for the photographer. Natalie's dad John, and Wren's mother were step-siblings, so consequently their children grew up rather closely; and even though Georgia had been gone seven years by the time John moved back to Carp, he never once treated Wren like a stranger.

"Can I go and say hi?" Moonie asked while peering up at the older girl; her piercing blue eyes an exact replica of their father's.

"She's taking some pictures right now, but you can wave if you want." Wren shrugged, Natalie looking up just in time to return the younger Anderson's wave.

Subsequently, Jax's phone vibrated in the back pocket of his Levi's. "All right kiddo, it's almost seven." He peered down at the notification while ruffling Moonie's dark hair. "We gotta get going if we're gonna stop by the diner before you go home."

"Can Wren come too?" Moonie asked jovially, slipping her hand into Jax's.

"Your sister might have plans of her own, Moon." Jax replied, offering Wren a bit of wiggle room considering she'd been making time for her younger sister all weekend.

"Please?" The six year old looked up charmingly through her thick eyelashes. There were only a handful of kids residing in the small town, and only a select portion of them were Moonie's age. So as anticipated, the first grader found a best friend in her older sister. And while Wren was no role model, she did her best to keep her reckless teenage self and her older sister self separated.

Ironically, there had been chatter circulating all day about a graduation party later on, but like all other things worthwhile in Carp, Texas it wouldn't begin until dark. "I do have plans actually, but since you asked so nicely, I think I can make time for a milkshake." Wren smirked wryly, reaching for her younger sister's hand, the two of them leading the way to Jax's pickup truck that was waiting out in the parking lot, surely cooking beneath the violent rays of the southwestern sun.

• • •

A thick sheet of darkness had long since fallen over the small town, tiny pinpricks dotting the sky like holes in a piece of plastic wrap. Wren could practically hear the commotion from the party a mile away when she'd first arrived; shenanigans flowing, and music bumping, clashing indefinitely with the insects and wildlife. Nearly the entire graduating class of Samuel Maverick High was scattered among the local park, throwing back swallows of beer, and just letting loose. While some people danced around the bonfire, others preferred the rush of physicality; flesh against flesh, and greedy hands wandering in a frenzied inclination.