Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

          Aerin set their bags down at the foot of the bed as they took in their surroundings.

         "My friends will come by later to go to the swimming hole, but we could ride into town and I could introduce you to my dad and check out his store." Aerin suggested.

        "Okay." Calypso and Karma said.

        They followed Aerin outside where he pulled out three bikes. Calypso inspected it curiously as Aerin and Karma got on.

        "I — uh — don't know how to ride . . ." Calypso admitted, shifting back and forth on her feet.

        "That's fine. You can ride on the handlebars of mine if you want." Aerin offered. Calypso walked to the front of the bike and climbed on, positioning her feet to keep them away from the wheel. She looked over her shoulder at Aerin and he smiled up at her before he began to peddle.

        Calypso looked around at the town that they rode through. The further they ventured from Aerin's house, the more people she began to see. She assumed most of them were Muggles and it was interesting to see how they interacted with each other.

         Aerin took them to the record floor and hooked the bikes up on the rack outside. Karma and Calypso exchanged an excited glance with one another before entering the store.

        There were mostly teens in the store and there was a boy around their age working the register. Calypso looked over and recognized Aerin's dad from the pictures at their house. He had a guitar in his lap and he was teaching a small group of young children how to play. He glanced up when the bell to the door chimed and waved at his son.

         "Aerin!" The guy at the register cheered. Aerin guided Calypso over to him as Karma began shifting through records.

        "Hey, Billy." Aerin greeted. "This is my friend from school, Calypso."

        Billy leaned over to Aerin and loudly whispered, "Dude, that girl is shick!"

       Calypso blinked. What did that mean?

       Aerin patted Billy's shoulder before taking Calypso to a corner to look at the new records.

       "So, will I finally get to hear you play?" Calypso asked. Aerin smiled and looked over at Calypso.

       "You really want to?" Aerin asked nervously.

        "Are you kidding? Of course, I do." Calypso said.

        Aerin grinned at her before he walked over to his dad as he wrapped up his class. He whispered something in his father's ear. His dad glanced at Calypso with amusement shining in his eyes and he grabbed two of the guitars closest to him.

         Calypso grabbed Karma and pulled her over to listen as Aerin and his dad sat down to play.

        "What's this song called?" Calypso asked him.

         "Bright Lights, Big City by Jimmy Reed. It's the first song I ever learned to play on the guitar." Aerin said.

         "Ready?" His dad asked.

         Aerin nodded his head and Calypso watched as his brows pulled together in concentration. He and his father began to play the beginning chords of the song. Calypso was more surprised when Aerin and his dad started singing. Aerin told her he could play guitar, but he never told her that he could sing too. His voice was low and kind of husky and it complimented his dad's.