Chapter 3

Walking to the reaping the silence was deafening. I had always liked the silence but this, this was different. I could sense everyone's nerves and it was making me feel very on edge. Everyone was walking with such a somber look on their faces but then again so was I.

As we were nearing closer to the stage I see kids standing with their heads looking down as they are splitting from their families. I watch as their families leave them and go stand behind the ropes of area.

Mrs Everdeen left us to go stand with the adults and Prim grabbed mine and Katniss hands and stop walking. Me and Katniss gave eachother a look as if to say 'what happened?' But when we noticed where she was looking we knew what had stumped her. She saw needles. We both knew Prim hated needles so we never told her about this part.
"Oh no sweetheart don't worry it doesn't hurt, just a little pinch." I said before she started panicking even more.
"Promise" prim asks.
"Promise" I reply with a smile.

So we head over to get checked in. Prim and Katniss go to one line and I go to another still keeping an eye on them. I watch as Prim goes to join the little kids and katniss stands near the back with the older kids all while I'm still waiting in a queue. I mean I'm not complaining I wanted the queue to take a while because I was still trying to keep my distance.

When I finally get through the queue I try to see if I can see where Katniss is but I don't see her so I just stand near a couple people I don't recognise from around the district. All of a sudden I hear the microphone screech and I realise the Capitol escort, Effie comes out. She begins to speak the same speech she says every year.

"Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! Happy hunger games. And may the odds be ever in your favour. Now before we begin, we have a very special film brought to you all the way from the Capitol." As she finishes speaking the video showing how the hunger games came to be starts playing.

As the video is ending I can see Effie mouthing the words, she must know that video like the back of her hand.
"Oh well that's just lovely now, isn't it" Effie says a little too enthusiastically.
"Now the time has come to select one courageous man and woman for the honor of representing district 12 in the 74th hunger games. As usual ladies first." Effie stops speaking and reaches her hand into the bowl and picks a name.

"Primrose Everdeen, where are you dear, don't be frightened" I know Effie means well but who wouldn't be frightened.
I can see prim slowly making her way to the stage. I look to see if I can catch sight of Katniss and too my luck she is just behind me.
"PRIM!" Katniss screams. They both try to run to eachother but Prim is stopped by peacekeepers containing her squirming motions and I hold back Katniss. And all of a sudden for some reason my body forces me to say

"I volunteer as tribute"