When We Misbehave

A/N: Just.... Listen to Misbehave by Monsta X, okay-

"I love it when we misbehave
They say that we got issues, but girl, that's why I'm with you
Love it when we mess things up
Every time we argue, straight into the bedroom
And we only break up, just so we can make up
And I can hear you call my name
I love it when we misbehave"

Wei Ying suggests that they meet at the cafe near his apartment. As Lan Zhan parks outside 'The Burial Mounds', he can't help but think about how well things had been going when he had parked here last night. They were kissing. They had been well on their way to do more than kissing. He sighs and puts his head down on the steering wheel, wishing he could turn back time, and take Wei Ying to his apartment instead, completely avoid this Jiang Cheng rage-filled timeline. Jiang Cheng. He should have punched him when he had he met him for the first time, a few months ago, at the firm. Now, he will probably never have the satisfaction of seeing the man's face turn as purple with bruises as his stupid clothes were (what is that aesthetic, anyway?). Wei Ying would never forgive him if he hurt his brother. Not that he had a chance with Wei Ying after last night's texts, anyway.

Lan Zhan's reverie is interrupted by Wei Ying softly knocking at the driver-side car window. He looks wind-blown, his hair pulled up in a high ponytail, wearing a red t-shirt with a scoop-neck (now that's an aesthetic) that makes him look soft all over. He's smiling, which makes Lan Zhan feel a little better even as his breath gets stuck in his throat. He tries to smile back, but ends up looking even more anxious. Shaking off his nerves, he steps out of the car and follows Wei Ying inside the cafe. It is a warm space, its decor homely and welcoming. It looks less like a cafe and more like a college dorm's common room. It's early, however, so only a few of the couches, lounge chairs, and bean bags are taken. Wei Ying greets the barista, a young man called Wen Ning, and motions for Lan Zhan to follow him to an adjoining outdoor seating area. The sunlight makes Wei Ying look like he materialized out of thin air, like a rainbow after a downpour.

"Hi," Wei Ying starts off as they sit down on the wooden benches, opposite from each other, a far cry from their near-cuddling at the restaurant last night. "So, clearly, we shouldn't say anything about each other's brothers, right? Judging from how defensive we both got on last night's texts, I mean."

"Yes," Lan Zhan gulps. "We don't need to talk about them, if Wei Ying doesn't want to."

"Hey," Wei Ying leans over, and places his hand over Lan Zhan's. "We have to talk about them but let's not fight, okay? A-Cheng is my baby brother, and I get really sensitive when anyone comes at him. I hope you understand that."

"I do." Lan Zhan thinks he can finally breathe, turning over his hand so that he's now holding Wei Ying's hand. "I can be very... protective of my brother too."

"Okay," Wei Ying looks at his hand in Lan Zhan's and smiles. "So, what do you know? What can you tell me? Because I only learned that my didi was queer last night!"

"Oh," Lan Zhan ponders how much he can say. "I'm guessing you know that Huan-ge and Jiang Cheng met at a seminar... and started getting to know each other." Wei Ying nods, urging him to go on. "I didn't know that my brother was 'married'." He hopes his tone conveys the air quotes around the words. "The truth behind that marriage is something Huan-ge has been trying to explain to Jiang Cheng for months, and I am not at liberty to talk about it. However, there is absolutely nothing going on between Nie Mingjue and him. At all."

Lan Zhan looks so earnest that Wei Ying can't resist running his thumb over his palm to soothe him. "It's okay, I believe you. So, what I'm getting is that A-Yao has chosen to omit some facts on purpose, and A-Cheng isn't ready to listen? Yeah, sounds like them."

"Are you acquainted with Meng Yao?" Lan Zhan tries to focus on Wei Ying's words and not the warmth of his roving finger.

"Well, I know him as Jin Guangyao? Jin Zixuan's half-brother?"

"I see. Your sister's brother-in-law."

"Right." Wei Ying sighs. "Our world got a bit too small, huh? How have we never met before?"

"I am not very sociable." Lan Zhan moves his shoulders a bit but refrains from actually shrugging.

"Really," Wei Ying is smirking, a new sparkle in his eyes. "How did manage to pick me up at Target then, Lan er-gege?"

"I was under the impression that Wei Ying picked me up," Lan Zhan leans in, ignoring how Wei Ying calling him 'gege' is exciting him. With the shadow of a smile on his face, he says, "I was simply caught up in you." He looks from Wei Ying's eyes to his mouth, his collarbones, trying to tamp down the hunger in his gaze. "I had no choice."

A shiver runs down Wei Ying's spine at the undercurrent of a growl in Lan Zhan's voice. "Ah, you're not so innocent, gege! You can't just go around looking like-" He releases Lan Zhan's hand for a moment to gesture at his entire body with both hands. "Looking like that, in Target, where mere mortals are shopping, and expressing interest in rabbits!"

Lan Zhan takes Wei Ying's hands in his, the movement so familiar that it makes Wei Ying feel warm all over. "I have never done that before. You- you are special."

Coming from any other person, Wei Ying would have taken that with a healthy pinch of salt. But Lan Zhan looked so sincere, it was hard not to believe him. Wei Ying knew how he himself had felt that first moment when he had seen Lan Zhan. It was like something that shifted between them. A-jie would call it 'love at first sight' while Nie Huaisang would probably call it 'Wei Ying being a horny romantic sucker who needs to get laid'.

"I- God, I feel like a chump saying this but yes, I feel very strongly about you." He looks Lan Zhan in the eye. "This feels very real. Ugh, Lan Zhan, don't look at me like that! I swear, I'm usually a very cool guy."

"Mn. Wei Ying is very cool." Lan Zhan teases.

"Lan Zhaaaan! You are cruel." His mouth curves into a pout, and Lan Zhan can't help but touch his bottom lip with the pad of his thumb. The air between them suddenly feels charged and Wei Ying resists opening his mouth. But it is a near thing.

"Wei Ying." Lan Zhan moves his hand to cup his cheek. "Date me. I know your brother will not approve and I am ready to make things right with him. But date me."

"Yes," Wei Ying breathes as he leans into the warmth of Lan Zhan's palm. "Let's date."