With the show about to start and Harry still not back, Louis jogs to the house and starts searching for Harry yet again; he starts by going straight to the bathroom door and quietly knocking.

"Uh, occupied," Harry says.

"It's me. Can I come in?" Louis asks. Nothing happens on the other side of the door for a few seconds, then Louis hears shuffling before the door opens.

"Hey."

"Why didn't you tell me you were scared of fireworks?" Louis questions. Harry looks stunned and he doesn't know what to say.

"I-I'm not," he meekly responds.

"Bullshit. Niall just told me. Why should I have to believe him over my own boyfriend?" Louis sounds accusatory, and Harry doesn't like it. When he takes a step back, Louis leans against the doorway and folds his arms in front of his chest.

"I'm not scared of fireworks. I'm not a child, Louis," Harry huffs.

"Fine. If you're not scared of fireworks like Niall said, then let's go back outside." Louis expects Harry to budge and admit that he's scared, but he doesn't. To his surprise, Harry leaves the bathroom and grabs his drink from the kitchen counter, walking ahead of Louis on their way back to the blanket.

Everyone is either sitting or standing while they look up at the sky, excitement growing as they wait for the firework show to start. Louis glances at Harry every couple of seconds, whose eyes keep switching from the sky to the beach. "Scared yet?" Louis pokes Harry's side, and Harry flips him off.

"No--fuck." Harry jumps and curses under his breath when a red firework explodes in the sky. Louis laughs at this, then returns his attention to the sky as more colorful fireworks go off. Each high-pitched scream of a firework jetting up into the sky before it explodes into a colored stream excites all of the partygoers...everyone except for Harry. "I think I'm gonna go get another drink," Harry says during a break in the fireworks.

"I think that's just another excuse to go inside," Louis says. "You can tell me if you're scared, bub." Louis plays with a lock of Harry's hair, then leans in and presses a soft kiss to the younger boy's lips. The fireworks continue right after the boys pull away, and Harry involuntarily squeezes Louis' hand. "Tell me you're scared and I can make it better," Louis softly says, now resting his head on Harry's shoulder. It is a very convincing offer, but Harry already feels like Louis is too cool to be with him; he doesn't need his dumb fear of fireworks to make Louis think he is a child.

A ceaseless succession of fireworks suddenly goes off, all erupting in the sky in gold, white, purple, red, and blue; each one is one or two seconds apart. Harry feels anxious, and he bites his lip and instinctively goes to plug his ears.

"I'm scared of fireworks! There, are you happy?" Harry admits, clearly not happy to have said the words.

"Ah, there we go. Thank you for telling me. Why'd it take you so long?" After the mass letting off of fireworks, the show slows down a bit to one firework every few seconds.

"Because I don't want you to think you're dating a kid. I mean, I'm only 19 and you're gonna be 22 this year," he frowns.

"Honey," Louis coos, "you know I don't care about you being younger than me. If I'm honest, I kind of like it."

"Really? Why? You're so cool and I'm just...well, I'm not."

"Enough of that. You are cool. I wouldn't hang out with you so much if I didn't think you were cool." Louis gives Harry a small smile, and Harry feels a little relieved. "So why don't you like fireworks?" He wonders.

"They're really loud. It's just a bunch of sudden loud noises, I don't see the appeal." Louis hums and watches the fireworks for a bit as he hatches a plan. When he has an idea, he smiles.

"Sit in between my legs." Louis stretches his legs in front of him and spreads them just enough for Harry to sit. Harry sighs, then shuffles between Louis' legs. Louis pulls Harry so close to him that his torso is pressed against Harry's back. He can't help hugging the boy for a moment, then eventually cups his hands over Harry's ears in an attempt to muffle the sound.

Among the fireworks, Louis hears Harry giggle, which makes him smile fondly and makes his heart skip a beat. Harry tilts his head back to rest on Louis' shoulder, then kisses his cheek before sitting back up. In return, Louis kisses Harry's neck before resting his chin on his shoulder.

Harry seems calmer and happier now that the fireworks aren't overwhelmingly loud. Louis is just glad that Harry confided in him, even if it was due to the fact that they are in the middle of watching Harry's fear. However, he still cannot believe that Harry thinks Louis is too cool for him; in Louis' eyes, there's no one cooler than Harry.

-

Guys I'm getting a pixie cut in 18 days ahhhh (my hair reaches the middle of my back rn and has been that length and longer basically since 2014)

-