Chapter 1 - The Hero Qualification Exam

Start from the beginning

Miwa stifled her panting as she rushed back to the girl. "I used a bit of your aura," she said, trying to make a bit of light conversation. "Didn't think you'd mind."

"D-don't really care at this point," she replied through gritted teeth and a sharp inhale.

Miwa shut up. She pushed with all the might left in her and managed to lift the plate enough for the girl to crawl out. Her leg was clearly injured.

There was another feature that Miwa didn't get to see underneath the rubble. The girl had a beautiful, large pair of wings reminiscent of a sparrow's; her soft-looking feathers were a shade of brown that looked gorgeous to Miwa in the sunlight. They were hardly darker than the girl's hair. Would it be inappropriate or too early for Miwa to say that she'd love to be wrapped in not only that girl's arms, but her wings as they lay in the warm sunlight together? She assumed yes.

Miwa helped the girl to her feet. Her leg apparently couldn't quite support her weight, so Miwa held her upright.

"You okay?" she asked. "For the most part?"

"Yeah, think so," the winged girl replied. "For the most part."

"Your leg doesn't quite look..."

"I should be fine. One way or another."

Miwa looked at her with an exaggerated skeptical look, to which the girl shrugged at with a smile. Her gaze flitted off of Miwa and her smile dropped as she grabbed Miwa's shoulders and shouted, "Watch!"

The girl pulled Miwa closer to her and moved her wings in front of the two of them like a shield. Miwa didn't know what prompted that reaction, but she had a pretty solid guess after a moment or two. She heard the sound of something large rocketing towards them at high speeds. She heard the deafening sound of a small explosion right next to her ear and the warmth of one behind her head; the only thing that saved her from that missile was this girl's wings.

The girl quickly unwrapped her wings and flapped them strongly towards the robot from before, which apparently hadn't been deactivated. Miwa turned just in time to watch several feathers fly straight toward the robot. The feathers pierced the three-point robot. Those were apparently the tipping point for the beat-up 'bot. When they pierced the robot, it finally gave in and exploded, something Miwa knew she should've made sure it did in the first place.

Miwa stared for a second, then turned back to the girl. She was pretty sure that was as close to her fantasy as she was going to get.

"I guess we're even?" the girl Miwa was now 95% sure was an angel asked.

"I guess so."

The Pro Hero announced the end of the exam.

Miwa glanced at the girl's messed-up leg. She stretched out her arm and offered, "Do you need help getting back?"

The girl shook her head and stretched her wings. "No, thanks. I can fly myself back."

"Oh, yeah. Right." Miwa felt stupid. Obviously, she didn't need anyone to carry her. She had wings. She also felt a bit disappointed, but she didn't know why. Well, she had a hunch as to why.

"But do you want a lift?" the girl asked Miwa. "I mean, we're both headed to the same place. It'd be faster."

Obviously, Miwa accepted the offer. She had flown back to the entrance with the girl. Through all of that, she never caught her name.