Chapter Nine: Thanksgiving

Start from the beginning

********************************************
(Bianca: at the Rotary Club, by the front door)

"As soon as we got here, we literally had to meet his entire family. Also, it's like a restaurant, we're all at different tables. My family is with Mr. Mazzara, though." She rolls her eyes.

She crosses her arms, "I'm miserable. And no one has asked me about the musical. But now, Mr. Mazzara is explaining his family traditions, and I'm on my second piece of Peach Cobbler." She lifts the dessert to take a bite from a fork.

"Now around this time, after the meal, we go around the table and say what we're thankful for." He explains.

"I'll go first. I'm thankful for being reunited with my Blanche," He began, looking lovingly at my mom.

I can't even pretend to be happy for them. I avert my gaze and glance down at my plate, digging my fork into the dish.

"And for all of us being together today." He concludes, offering a smile.

"Amazing!" Mom compliments, giving him a quick kiss.

Damian and I share uncomfortable and disgusted looks.

"My turn!" Mom grins, "I'm thankful for the Lord, and His love and mercy."

She pauses, so around the table, we nod in agreement, sharing smiles.

"And I'm thankful for the love of my life." She concludes, sharing soft gazes with Mr. Mazzara, before embracing one another in a kiss.

My smile faded; sharing, yet another, uncomfortable look with Damian. Kat shared the awkward glance this time.

(Bianca: outside of the Rotary Club)

"Love of her life? That was a little fast." She huffs a wry laugh, then rolls her eyes.

"I'll go next." I earn the attention, with a smug smile and tone.

Mr. Mazzara motions his hand out, nodding for me to continue, while offering a smile.

"I'm thankful for musical theater." I signal that I am done by taking a sip from my beverage.

I force a smile afterward, immediately meeting Mom's piercing glare, and Mr. Mazzara's uncomfortable expression after his smile faded.

To break the awkward silence, Damian clears his throat, "I'm thankful for family!" in a sing-song tone, before huffing an uncomfortable laugh.

"I gotta go freshen up." I blurt, standing up to leave.

But instead, I go outside. With how anxious I am, the fresh air felt amazing. I took many breaths in and out, attempting to regain my shaking breath.

After a moment, I check my phone; sliding the Notification Center down to find:

1 hour ago: From Seb💘: "are you sure you're okay? we can cancel!"

2 hours ago: From Carlos💌: "pretty sure EJ is having a mental breakdown. have you seen his posts? I can't believe you miss him!"

3 hours ago: From Ash💕: "I MISS YOU!!"

The corners of my mouth quirk up, and as my thumb waved over the screen, about to click on the texts, but decided to click on the app instead, since I am missing my dad. That is another reason why today is so hard for me; why I can't even play nice.

I clicked on our texts, and scrolled past all my musical updates that he has not responded to, but I just assume that he is on one of his phone cleanses. There was an ache in my chest and tears filled my eyes, but I sniffed to fight them when I heard the door opening. I put my phone down after shutting it off, then turned around to find Mr. Mazzara, who is offering a small smile.