Twenty || "I'm Sorry."

Start from the beginning

"No worries, I have to get up soon anyway. How's your dad?" She patted on the empty space next to her, wanting me to fill it. "He's downstairs." I kissed her forehead, throwing the covers over both of us. "Are you okay?" She knew I wasn't, she didn't even have to ask. "I'm tired." I yawned.

"Okay, goodnight."

She turned her back to me, burying her face in the pillow. "Summer?" Her head lifted, but she didn't fully turn around.

"I'm trying my best."

She faced me, grabbing my head and pulled it into her chest.

"I know."

And she held me like that, stroking the back of my head until sunlight poured into my window, forcing a new day onto us.

Hopefully a good one.

There's been a shortage of those lately.

Nine Hours Earlier

"Hope you're in the mood for Italian." I joked as we pulled up to the restaurant. Isabella's was where we were dining, one of the most expensive dining spots around.

"They even have valet parking." Summer said as her door opened. A man stuck out his hand helping her out of the car.

I handed my keys to the attendant who would be parking my car, thanking him for the service. "You swear this isn't too underwhelming?" Summer had been freaking out about her dress the entire car ride here. "Are you kidding? You look gorgeous." I took her hand and kissed it before I lead her inside the restaurant.

"Good Evening! Do you have reservations?" The host's smile almost looked programmed as she waited for my response.

"Uh, Summer and Devon, we should be under a reservation for the Whites."

She took a few seconds to scan her list before smiling back up at us. "Ah, yes! Please follow me to the V.I.P area."

V.I.P area?!

She lead us to a quieter section towards the back of the restaurant where only a few tables were filled. "Here you are." She gestured to a table in the center of the room and walked off, but not before flashing her robotic smile.

"Summer, Devon! I was beginning to think you weren't going to show." Tyler spoke, tapping on his father's arm. Little did he know I thought about staying home, but being treated to a meal wasn't the worst thing in the world.

"You know my sister of course, these are my parents, James and Laura White." The couple looked to us smiling, preparing their introductions.

"It's a pleasure to meet you son. I've heard good things about you, even heard you play a little ball. What's you position?" He straightened in his seat, maintaining eye contact.

"Quarterback sir."

His eyes were set a flame as he clappes his hands, whilst whistling a tune. "Thatta boy! Say, I have a few buddies from the league that might be interested in seeing you play, you any good?" His southern accent was thick and prominent, I'd assumed Rachel and Tyler were raised up north, due to their lack of one.

"I'd say I am yea." I tried my best to sound humble, Summer always told me my head was big enough.

Maybe this dinner wouldn't be so bad after all.

"Enough sports talk honey! Summer dear, I love that dress. You look stunning!" Laura chef kisses her hands, causing Summer to blush instantly. "Thank you, you look radiant as well." Laura laughed and played in her freshly blown out hair.