chapter twenty one

Start from the beginning

"There's nowhere to run." She whispered as she attached her grapplehooks to the top of one of the buildings, she swung herself onto the top and spun on her feet. There was no point in hiding in the shadows if they wanted to bring the fight out into the open.

She ran across the rooftops, her legs forcing her to run at a quicker pace than she had ever ran before. In training she had run fast, but she'd never needed to go faster than necessary, this was life or death. If she didn't run, she'd die.

"There!"

Isabel looked over her shoulder, eyes narrowed on the two women behind her. "Shit." She whispered as she halted in place, the two men coming from the other end of the rooftop.

"You're surrounded!" One of the women shouted as the quartet began to close in on her, her red hair bouncing in the ponytail she was wearing. "Hand yourself over or die!"

Think, think, think! Her brain buzzed as she slowly raised her hands. What should I do?!

As the group slowly closed in on her, her feet slowly shuffled her to the edge of the rooftop, her eyes never leaving the group as she raised her hands by her head. The blonde stood at the edge, the wind blowing her stray hairs slightly as she let out a sigh.

"Got you now! There's nowhere to run!"

"Is that so?" She smirked. "Catch me if you can."

As the words exited her lips she fell backwards from the building, her arms quickly moved to grab onto her gear, within seconds she had attached it to the wall behind her and pulled herself backwards, her body sliding against the floor. She hissed slightly as she could feel the skin being ripped from her back, but there was no time to worry about that.

"Don't let her get away!"

Her fingers kept clicking the levers and attaching her gear to different buildings at a speed that she couldn't quite believe she was doing. It was almost as if her body was on autopilot when she dodged the shot that was taken at her, narrowly grazing her arm, the arm that had only just healed properly from her blades outside of the wall.

The sounds of civilians shouting didn't stop her as she almost took out an innocent woman in her attempt to pull herself around a corner to avoid another bullet. Her eyes widened as she noticed a blur of red hair by her side, it was one of the women who had been chasing her.

Isabel attached her gear to a nearby alleyway and began running across the wall, her arm outstretching to grab the woman beside her. Due to Isabel's height, her arm was able to grab the redhead and yank her behind her just in time for her to be used as a human shield as she heard loud sounds of bullets being fired at her.

The redhead stopped struggling once the bullets had been fired and Isabel disregarded her body, she didn't have time to feel bad for using the woman and being the cause of her demise, better her than me.

"You bitch!" The voice was deep, and cracked slightly whilst shouting, it was one of the men, no doubt upset by accidentally killing his comrade. "She's mine! Go find the little guy!"

Isabel smirked slightly as she ducked under a carriage, her head almost smacking the concrete beneath her. Her gear scratched the ground making an awful hissing sound as she propelled herself back into the air, turning to face her pursuer.

He pointed his gun at her head and shot, though she wasn't stupid, it was an obvious shot to make. She dodged and attacked her gear to a rooftop, swinging herself on top of it. She spun to a stop and pulled her blades out, cracking her neck as she awaited for him to land too.

His face was scrunched up in anger, eyes watery as he held his gun out in front of his face, ready to take his shot. Isabel smirked at him as she ducked down as he took another obvious shot. "I'm sorry, was she your girlfriend?"