chapter eleven

ANGELIC – CHAPTER ELEVEN

Isabel sat on the tree branch, legs dangling over the edge almost as if to taunt the titans that had gathered below. She didn't stare at them or even taunt them despite the small part of her that wished to. Her mind was elsewhere as she awaited the next orders to be dished out, she was thinking about the female titan.

There was plenty of things about the titan to make her uneasy but the thing that bothered her most was that it had no respect for human life - it would've been understandable if it were a normal titan or even just an abnormal, but if Armin was correct, it was a human causing all the death and destruction. But the first question was, who was controlling the titan?

She didn't like the thought that she could know the titan, she didn't like the thought at all. The likelihood of her knowing who the person wrapped up inside the fourteen meter beast was very unlikely, but there was also the feeling of familiarity, the same feeling she had when she saw Eren in titan form for the first time.

Isabel only knew four things for sure: One, the person who was controlling the titan was female. Two, the titan didn't seem like it wanted to hurt her. Three, someone must have informed her what the formation was. Four, she had accomplices within the Scout Regiment.

She shook her head and screwed her eyes shut. That can't be right, she thought, nobody would betray us, right?

"Isabel." Bertolt said from the branch beside her. "What are you thinking about? You look a little torn."

She opened her eyes and let out a sigh, kicking her legs over the branch. Her eyes flickered down to the titans that starred up hungrily. "Just debating on whether to ignore orders and get my kills up." She lied, opting to keep her thoughts to herself until they were home so she could inform her father.

Bertolt let out a quiet laugh, a barely visible smile on his lips as he shook his head. "I'm debating on that too, I'm becoming a bit impatient now. I just want to go home." He moved his head over to where Reiner was standing a few trees away, his face no longer showing the trace of the smile that was on his lips moments ago.

"I get that." Isabel answered honestly, her eyes slowly moving back up to Bertolt, a soft smile on her lips. "Tell me about you, we never really got the chance to talk, I'd like to."

His eyes widened momentarily before they returned to normal size. "What-what do you want to know?"

Isabel shrugged. "Your family, what you like to do in your spare time. . . you know, anything."

Bertolt seemed to be taken back by the sudden interest in his life, he wasn't sure how to feel. Had she figured it all out? Was she trying to find out his weaknesses? "You don't have to." Isabel shrugged, averting her eyes back down to the titans. "I was just trying to get to know you a bit better, we never really got to do that when we were training."

"What do you mean?" Bertolt asked, his eyebrow arched in confusion. "We hung out a lot, me, you, Reiner and Annie."

She shook her head. "I mean I don't know much about you. Sure we hung out, but, really, what do I know about you?"

Bertolt sighed and scratched the back of his neck. "There isn't much to know apart from what you already know, I'm afraid."

Isabel narrowed her eyes at the boy across from her, she clicked her tongue and pushed herself to her feet. "You can't think of one teeny tiny thing?" Bertolt simply shook his head. Isabel groaned. "Fine, I'll go first then."

She tapped her chin three times as she thought of one interesting fact she could share to get the enormous boy to open up. "Before I joined the 104th, I'd never actually had a friend that was my age."