Chapter 10

The whole of Sheetrock Hills now knew about the budding romance between their best repairman and the girl who always provided him with spare parts for his jobs. 

The most confused person was Kelly's brother Elliot. He found it hard to accept that Manny was his sister's boyfriend. Had he not known about Manny's golden heart, he was sure that he would have objected to their relationship. But he was happy for them.

But no one knew that he had a crush on the artistic and vivacious Carmela, Manny's close friend, and that she requited it. The two of them were dating, but in public, they always kept mum. 

That windy afternoon, Manny returned to his shop after getting a repair done for Mrs Portillo. When he reached, he found Lola and her two boys waiting for him. "Hola mi hermano," she greeted him.

"Hey Lola," said Manny. "Hola Pepe and Chico!"

"Manny, I've got to take Chico to the doctor for vaccination," informed Lola. "Can you take care of Pepe meanwhile?"

"Of course, Lola," replied Manny. 

Little Pepe loved his uncle and would only be too delighted to spend the day with him and his tools. 

"Pepe, be a good boy! I will ask Uncle Manny about your behaviour once I return. Adios!" 

"I will, Mommy! Adios!" chirruped Pepe. 

After Lola left, Manny decided to fix the cutlery box which Mr Ayala had entrusted him with just that morning. 

"Pepe, maybe you can help me with the repair," he said to the boy. "Fetch me the box of nails from the middle drawer."

Pepe nodded and and brought the box to him.  Manny used Pat to hammer all the nails in place. 

All of a sudden, the phone rang. It was Kelly's aunt, Ginny. 

"Hey there, Aunt Ginny!" 

"Hi Manny. My filing cabinet's drawers have got jammed and I'm unable to open it. Can you come over and look at it?" 

"Of course, I'll be there!" 

"Guys, we've got a job to do!" he announced quickly. 

With the tools in his toolbox and Pepe clinging onto his other hand, Manny set off.