XLIII. Quick Buck

Start from the beginning

After what felt like several hours of preaching and screaming, they had us sign our names on a piece of paper.

"What is the agreement?" I ask.

The woman smiles, "It agrees that by the end of the day, you'll get paid."

I nod, "Let me use the pound and think a bit." I grab Eric and Brian by the arms. "Something is telling me this whole free money thing is a trap."

Brian laughs, "Of course it is. That's why I signed a fake name and requested cash. Probably a petition to execute the werewolf when we find him."

"How do you know?"

"Oh. When one of them wasn't looking, I grabbed this paper."

I yank the paper from Brian's hands. He's right. They're petitioning to execute Kai if someone finds him.

"This has to be illegal," I said.

"Probably is. But, let's think about that later," Eric says.

I grab him and yank him back, "Think about this now!"

"Fine." Eric grabbed his phone and began texting. When he's done, he looks at us, "Rumor is spread. Now, let's go sign up before they pack up for the day."

"What did you do?"

"I shot out a massive text message about this whole thing to the school."

"Oh, good idea." I open my screen to see his message. I copied and pasted it.

Brian did the same.

Not too long after, we received one from Brenda.

Then, Vicki.

Natalie.

The message got circulated on the internet in no time.

Despite standing in line with my senior classmates, I didn't recognize anyone's name on the list. They probably got the message and faked a name.

It'll probably be on the news tonight or tomorrow morning.

But, it gives us just enough time to go out, hunt, and get our payments.

"Excuse me," someone says.

I turn my head to see a woman. She smiles, "There's someone who likes to talk to you. Would you mind following me for a second?"

"Yes. I do mind," I respond. I shove my hands into my jacket, "My parents told me never to follow strangers."

"What's going on here?" Eric question.

"I would like it if both of you follow me. It won't only be you two." She spread her arm towards a group of people. They're all hunters. Someone here can pinpoint all the hunters in the crowd. "If not, I would like you two to leave."

If that's a threat, then it's a pathetic one. I've wanted to leave since the moment I came.

"But, if you follow us, we can surely compensate you two." She shows us a suitcase of money.

Definitely suspicious.

"Alright. Let's go." Eric is not born with common sense.

The lady stops Brian, "Hunters only."

"Then, we're not going," Eric says. At least he has some loyalty.

"No. It's okay. You two go," Brian says.

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

While we walk towards the group, I look back to see Brian staring at the ground. He had this look on his face, and I didn't like it.