Chapter Eight: What Team?

Start from the beginning

The choreographer takes my hands, "Okay. Gabriella, I need you downstage on this mark. Troy, stage right. Chad, stage left box. Um, other boys, find a box." He instructs.

I cross my arms, with confusion on my face, "Why are they on stage with me? This is my song."

Ricky fakes a cough, "Diva." I roll my eyes then glare at him.

"They will be frozen in various poses to come. As the ballad builds, Bianca, you will be wandering through a forest of boys." Carlos explains.

My eyes narrow, "A forest of boys? That sounds like both a horror movie, and a boyband album." I joke, causing the girls to laugh.

I continue, "I've been camping so many times, that I consider myself an expert, but..what would that even look like?"

"So, you know what a forest of trees looks like?" Carlos questions.

"I've seen Into The Woods." I sarcastically answer, as if that is how I am familiar with a forest.

He smiles proudly at my response, "Instead of creatures, it's with boys."

I shake my head, "No. Carlos, this is my moment. Why are they here?"

He sighs, "Because your heart has just been shattered, and you can't stop thinking about how amazing Troy is! Let's go!" He instructs, Seb starts the piano.

"No!" I dismiss, "I'm not doing it this way. That son of a bitch Troy just sold me out to his teammates!" I snap.

"Well, she's got a point." Ashlyn chimes in, "What Troy did was kind of unforgivable. Respectfully, Carlos, I think the last thing anyone wants in this moment is four more versions of him."

"Maybe she could chop down the trees." Natalie put forth.

"Or what if she's surrounded by a forest of loving and supportive sisters. Okay?" Kourtney proudly suggests. The girls agree, and I shrug in consideration. 

Ricky raises his hand, "Is it better if she just sings a solo, acoustic version?" Everybody disagrees.

"I vote for that!" Gina defends him.

I roll my eyes, knowing she is only agreeing because of her obvious crush on my enemy.

"I don't! This scene is iconic, I've been wanting to recreate it forever!" I exclaim.

"Okay, you guys, this is not a democracy!" Carlos shouts, anxiously.

I approach him as guilt overtakes me, "I'm sorry, Carlos. Everyone can just come back when Miss Jenn gets here."

"Well, she's not here, and I don't know if she's ever coming back." He blurts, and my eyes widen as shock crosses my face.

"Wait, what?" Ricky questions, taken aback.

"Is this a joke?" Ashlyn wonders.

"She's in deep trouble, you guys. They're saying that she lied on her job application, and there's a school board meeting in less than 24 hours, and she's probably going to lose her job. I wasn't supposed to tell any of you, but I'm trying to do my best here." Carlos explains.

My heart began to race, causing my breathing to tremble as I took in the news, "Wow."

Nini sighs, "I can't believe it."

"What are we even doing in rehearsal?" EJ exclaims.

"Wait, how can we have a show if we don't have a teacher?" Ashlyn questions.

"You know you could have told me." Seb soothes.

"Miss Jenn asked me not to." Carlos quietly informs.

"You know what? I.. um... I need a minute." Nini announces, before walking out.