Chapter Eight: What Team?

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, the count of three. Ready?" Big Red responds, as though it were obvious.

My brows furrow, "You didn't answer the question."

"Nah, man," Ricky dismisses, "You need some new words." pointing at his best friend.

"Like," I suggest, "Count to three, then point at us, so we know when to jump."

Ricky hums in mocking amusement, "That was the first good idea you've ever had, Sweeney." He taunts.

I roll my eyes, "That was the first time you've ever said anything smart, Bowen."

"So, you agree?" He sarcastically shot back.

I roll my eyes and flick my hand dismissively, "Whatever. You know what I meant."

"Guys!" Big Red exclaims, growing annoyed.

Concern and confusion cross Seb's face, as he reaches down to touch his shoes, "I think I broke a heel."

Carlos sighs in annoyance, "You guys, this isn't that hard. You smile, you leave the earth, you land."

"It's a little hard to smile, when we don't even know the plan." Ricky points out.

Gina chuckles gently, "I can't look at Ricky. Is that a problem?" She questions, motioning to his Troy wig.

This caused us to laugh, while Ricky was simply annoyed.

"Okay, let's take a five." Carlos instructs, waving it off.

"On five or after five?" Ricky sarcastically remarks, though there was no humor in his annoyed tone.

"I think he's mad at us." Seb points out as Ricky walks away, causing us to burst out laughing.

**************************************************

*******************I was at the piano, talking to Seb, when Natalie approached us, "Have you heard anything from Carlos or Miss Jenn? They're never late

*******************
I was at the piano, talking to Seb, when Natalie approached us, "Have you heard anything from Carlos or Miss Jenn? They're never late."

"It's weird. He's not responding to texts." Seb replies.

I nod in agreement with Seb, "Same"

After a while, Natalie decided to start rehearsal without our drama teacher and choreographer. "Guys, let's just start. Flip to When There Was Me and You in your script." She instructs.

Ashlyn's brows furrow, "Oh, should we maybe wait until Miss Jenn gets here?"

Finally, Carlos walks in, "Okay, people, let's stage a number. I'm late!"

"Where's Miss Jenn?" I question, taking notice of my friend's uneasy state.

"She had a small personal matter to attend to, and will not be here today." He blurts.

"Is everything all right?" Seb checks in.

"Everything is fine." Carlos awkwardly chuckles, "Why would you guys even ask that?" He is nervous, causing all of us to share concerned looks.