three: "look out"

Start from the beginning

"Your name is Bexley? Bexley? What kind of name is that?"

I was taken aback by his bluntness and it took me a moment to respond. "Excuse me? What's your name, ginger?"

"Ginger? I'll have you know that gingers-"

"Everybody freeze!" Coach Bombay yelled over the noise and everything quickly went quiet. "Now, we didn't come here to fight! We came here to play hockey! We're Team U.S.A. You represent your country."

"That's right," Don interjected.

"Now, I want you-"

"To be all that you can be, right?" Tibbles interrupted again. "Ya gotta raise yourself up, guys! Ya got-" he paused when Coach gave him a dirty look.

"All right, now. Let's start with the scrimmage." Coach Bombay instructed us.

"Great! Scrimmage! You heard your coach! Now-" Tibbles paused again before awkwardly smiling. "Hey. You don't need me here. I've got an appointment anyway. I've got to see Miss MacKay. She's the team tutor." He began to walk away.

"Don? Come on." Coach stopped him and motioned for the whistle hanging around his neck. "You'll get it back at the end of the school term."

We all laughed as Tibbles slowly took the whistle from around his neck and put it in Coach's extended hand.

We all got into position. It was a very uneven number but I wasn't worried. Dwayne had the face off against a kid named Jesse and immediately slipped the puck between his legs and towards our goal. Jesse somersaulted over and glared after Dwayne.

Luis got a hold of the puck and zoomed towards Goldberg. Unfortunately, the puck didn't go in, but Luis sure did. "Thanks for breaking my fall." He tapped Goldberg's shoulder and I skated by to help him up.

I looked over to see #99 on the Ducks with the puck. I sped up slightly and cut in front of him, ducking down. He flew over my back and I passed the puck to Ken. "Sorry!" I called as I skated away.

Julie was our real star player as I watched her block shot after shot. The boy who I had knocked over earlier, Adam, was able to get one past her. He was quickly floored by Dean who was acting more like a wrestler than a hockey player.

He slammed a kid into the wall, I think his name was Fulton, before knocking two Ducks together by the goal, causing them both to topple over.

"Real mature hockey you're playing here Portman," I remarked as I skated next to him.

"What can I say? It's my signature." He smiled and whipped in front of me, tripping me in the process. I landed on my stomach and slammed my fist into the ground before getting back up.

"We're on the same team, idiot!" I shouted at Dean, skating after him.

"You gonna cry Callahan?"

"No, but I might just kick your ass Portman!" I could practically feel the steam coming out of my ears. I was about to go at him when I heard someone yell "Look out!"

I whipped my head around and saw Fulton winding up to shoot. I skated towards the wall, leaving Dean standing by the goal. "What a bunch of wussies," he remarked.

Fulton smacked the puck and it went flying. Dean and Goldberg jumped out of the way just in time as the puck hit the goal post and ricocheted off. It bounced off a few more walls before finally knocking Tibbles in the forehead.

I gasped and everyone rushed over to him. A woman was bent over him, gently shaking his shoulder. "Mr. Tibbles, can you hear me?" After a few moments, he began to stir and opened his eyes. "Oh, are you all right?"

"Oh, uh, I-I'll have the cheeseburger, fries, and a chocolate shake, please," Tibbles mumbled.

"I think he'll be okay. We'll keep an eye on him." The woman smiled and looked up at us all. "Oh, I'm sorry. He didn't have a chance to introduce us. I'm Michele MacKay, their tutor."

"Hey, are you okay?"

I turned my head to see who had just whispered to me. The voice belonged to a smaller boy with brown hair. "I'm Charlie. Sorry, I just saw you get tripped earlier and you looked upset."

"Oh, I'm okay. It's just Portman."

"Just Portman?"

"Long story. Thanks though." I gave him a small smile and turned my attention back to the group. Goldberg was currently trying to convince Ms. McKay to make school optional.

"Alright team." Coach clapped his hands together and looked around at all of us. "Gather on the ice. I've got something fun planned for our first practice."

We all got up and made our way onto the rink. Our first official practice as Team USA was about to begin.

_

this was such a filler chapter, i'm sorry besties