"Yes ma'am, but I turn 17 at the end of the month," I replied, and after I said that I could see the judgmental glint leave her eyes, and now she looked both impressed, yet worried about that, "Wow, I didn't realize you were quite the scholar," she said, her tone completely different from when we first met.

You know how people can be really judgy of a person they just met and then when they realize exactly who they're talking to they humble themselves?

That's what happened. It was weird, I've seen it happen to others, but not to me directly. It was interesting.

She nodded, "I see. Well here is your key. If you forgotten or hadn't yet checked online, your room number is 210, on the second floor. There is a mandatory dorm meeting this evening at 5 pm, where you will be meeting your R.A. and learning the rules of the dorm, so it would behoove you to not miss it," she informed me.

I smiled and nodded, "Thanks, I'll be there," I said as I took the keys from her and picked up my bag, "Oh, before I go, do you know if my roommate has arrived yet?"

She genuinely smiled at me, the first I'd seen during this entire encounter, "Yes! She checked in earlier this morning actually, and I'm happy to inform you that she is not only a fellow scholar, but my youngest daughter, Julia! I believe you two will get along wonderfully, you may find that you two have a lot in common! She's out to brunch with her father but she should be back before the meeting so you two can have a chance to properly meet and get to know each other," she said and my eyebrows rose in surprise.

My roommate is the Dean's daughter?

Funny, she didn't mention that in her emails. But then again, I didn't mention who my mother is either, so I guess we're even. I just had another thought, great, another reason for Dean Gilbert to keep me under her microscope. I mentally sighed to myself, oh well. Even though I wasn't particular fond of that realization, I wasn't complaining too much, because at least an adult figure would be watching out for me, even if it was to try to catch me slipping. I already knew she wouldn't, so I didn't have anything to worry about.

"Great! I can't wait to meet her," I said with a forced smile.

She nodded as she prepared to leave, "Well, I'll let you go and get settled in, but before I do, if I can give you one word of advice Ms. Z, you're not in high school anymore, and college is a completely different ball game from what you're used to. The stakes are much higher, the work is much harder, but I promise you, if you can stay the course, the reward will be worth it. So buckle down and adapt quickly, and keep your head above water, and remember that you are not alone, here we are more than happy to help you with anything you may need. We at Howard are here to build you, not break you," she finished, giving me a reassuring look that made me feel at ease. I guess her tough act was a tactic to feel me out, and I must have passed the test.

I gave her a grateful smile and thanked her before grabbing my bag and heading towards the direction of the stairs to find my room. As I walked around, I noticed all the incoming students, most with their parents as they talked and looked around, some as they took some final photos before their families left, and others as they helped their new student move in, and I couldn't help but to feel a little sad that I couldn't share that same sentiment with my family, but hey, this is how I wanted it. I knew what I was getting into when I applied to college and now that I'm here I had no regrets. I didn't even want June to come and help me move in because I didn't want to risk someone recognizing him and by association people realizing who I am. So far, I was just a regular person, barely seen and not heard and that was just the way I liked it. I felt good about what was to come, and I was excited for all the possibilities and new opportunities coming my way.