xxiii. | the walking dead

Start from the beginning

"Just as well as one can be," She thoughtfully responded, she found herself taking after Alessandro a lot in that sense, she can't help but wonder if it's a fleeting attempt to keep her brother closer to her, the tattoo she got for him wasn't enough and that was for sure.

"Salene, you know I-"

"If you're about to apologize for getting punched in the face by a powerful lunatic, I might torch you where you stand," Salene gripped his laundry hamper a little tighter than before.

Steve chuckled as the two approached the building, their paths separating once they were inside. Salene took a quick detour, going to her room and getting some of her clothes.  She carried everything over to the laundry room and got things started, heading back to the room Natasha and Steve would be in.

Nat's eyes had a watery glint in them, Salene could tell she had been crying just a bit. The blonde quickly stepped over and did her best to support her. She placed a hand on Nat's shoulder as she stood behind the older woman, Nats hand came up and rested over Salenes. Salene could tell Nat appreciated the gesture.  Salene noticed some peanut butter and bread, sidestepping and reaching over, making herself a sandwich, her stomach growling as it seemed to be that she walked in on a conversation. Salene smiled softly as she chewed, swallowing the first bite that she had taken.

"So uh, what are y'all talking about?" She asked, Steve, looked up to her from his seat, he opened his mouth to say something but a holographic square popped up, Natasha accepted the feed, and camera footage of the front gate showed up.

A man in jeans, a black shirt, and a grey jacket had one hand cupping his mouth and the other waving, a brown van with the driver's side door open behind him. This is happening in real-time. Salene recognizes Scott's face, she used to constantly remind herself of her failure by looking back at photos of the dead.

Scott Lang is not dead.

"Oh! Hi. Hi! Is anyone home? This is Scott Lang." He reintroduced himself, Salene stopped mid-chew hearing his voice, "We met a few years ago, at the airport? In Germany? I got really big, and I had my mask on. You wouldn't recognize me."

Salene remembered how she watched Peter get a backhanded bitch slap from him in his giant form, she had barely caught Peter before they both tumbled on the ground.

Nat and Steve stood up, since the time she was 17, Salene had only grown a few inches, she was now a bit taller than Nat, but neither of them would ever reach the height of Steve. She looked at the two of them to see their reactions. The disbelief made her feel validated. Salene slammed her hand on the button on the desk that opens up the front gate.

Scott Lang came back from the dead, she wanted to know-how.

• • •

SALENE WAS SAVORING her sandwich as she watched Scott pace a hole in the floor in front of her, her eyebrows raised as her eyes followed the man's worried mannerisms. He was muttering to himself, glancing at Salene, his brows furrowing, and then looking back to the floor to see where he was pacing as his mind was going a mile a minute.

"Scott," Steve asked, Scott stopped pacing but he still mumbled to himself, "are you okay?"

"Yeah," Scott sighed, covering his face with his hands, he was tired, Salene remembered someone saying that he lived in San Francisco so he was trying to keep himself up, "Have any of you ever studied Quantum Physics?"