Chapter Four: Breaking Free

Start from the beginning

However, a part of me was puzzled, and it was visible on my face, "No one told you? Aren't you his understudy?" My dry tone returned.

Laughing in disbelief, he expresses shock at the news, as well as amazement that he is now the leading man. "Exactly!"

I nod my head and reciprocate his response with an over-exaggerated grin on my face.

"It's gonna-" He pulled out an HSM DVD from his backpack, which made me pause, as confusion crosses my face, "What's that for?"

EJ waved it off with a gentle chuckle, but began to explain anyhow, "When I thought I was gonna get the part of Troy, I kinda had this collector's edition ready to be signed."

"Naturally." I tease, nodding.

"Ah, you know me." He grins.

Warmth washed over me as a result of his words, I hum in contentment and smile proudly.

"Wanna run this by Miss Jenn's office with me?"

My heart melts at the invite, "I would love to."

Even though I had started to step toward the office, he blocked my path and started going ahead of me. I was disappointed that he wouldn't let me walk first, but I quickly brushed it off and caught up with him.

"So," I trail, "I was gonna say, it's nice that we're going to be working together."

"I am, too!" He grins, "It's about time. I mean, we always nail our car duets."

My heart skipped a beat, stomach churning with butterflies as I nod in agreement, "That's true!"

His words gave me hope for the future of our relationship, and I felt confident to bring up the significant matter.

"I'm sorry about that day at the auditions." I blurt, stopping in my tracks, "And everything before that."

He stops walking to meet my apologetic gaze, "It's okay, Bianca. Look, about that day at Ashlyn's party.."

EJ paused, guilt overtaking his features and voice. His reaction made my heart race. I pressed my lips together, anxiously awaiting for him to continue.

"I know that you would never cheat on me. I guess... I guess I just took that as my opportunity to break up with you." He confesses.

My face falls in disappointment and confusion, "What?"

He offers an apologetic smile, "Things were bad, Bianca. We hadn't been in a good place, for months at that point. We would literally always fight. I guess, I just thought that you were done, too."

I simply gawked at him, unable to form any words. My entire world seemed to be collapsing around me.

"It all happened so fast, so I didn't have much time to process it, which is why I thought there was unresolved feelings. But, after auditions, I was finally able to come to that conclusion."

"Seriously?" My voice broke, holding back tears with every bit of my strength.

EJ nods slowly, as a nervous grin appears on his face, "So, water under the bridge? For real this time?"

I averted my gaze as my cheeks heated up from the strain, tears finally escape me as I walk away because I knew that I would burst if I held them in any longer. My breath shook as I struggled to breathe properly.

My eyes were so hazy from crying, that somewhere along the way, I bumped into someone. As I backed away, I blinked to make my eyes clearer without ruining my makeup, while also hiding my eyes with my hands in embarrassment.