I Remember (Dazushi)

Start from the beginning

"Oh, nothing~!" Dazai chimed and turned on his heel, hands behind his head as he simply walked to his desk and sat down, moving his hands to his pockets.

Atsushi sort of hoped that he would've ended up remembering.. and he had gotten his hopes up when he had stared at him but- guess he just zoned out. He sighed, going back to writing reports.

As suspected, any treat or anything that showed up to the Agency that day was all for Ranpo. Not that Atsushi really expected anything for himself. He was just kinda hoping someone would remember.

The agency was like his family. So.. it would just be nice. Anything.

But... nope. Atsushi ended up getting a case where he had to go outside in the blistering heat. And with Dazai too. Which meant loud talk about suicide and such.

  Atsushi sighed.

  Dazai remembered Atsushi's birthday very much so. In fact, the very day he figured out what it was, he already told the agency about his great plan to throw a big party for him since it was the first birthday they'd ever be celebrating with him. But.. when the brunette walked in that morning, no such thing happened.

  Everyone was acting normal. And Atsushi looked so sad... disappointed. He didn't deserve to have to feel that way at all. Especially not on his birthday.

  "Aaa, it's so hot!" Dazai complained as they walked to the river bank. "Hey, hey. Atsushi. Atsushi. Let's get ice cream. Atsushi. Hey." He kept tugging at the other's sleeve.

  Atsushi really didn't wanna have to pay for anything Dazai ate or drank today and really didn't wanna have to put up with his shenanigans on his birthday. "Fine.. fine." He sighed softly as he took out his wallet.

  "What flavor do you want?" Dazai asked with a smile.

  Atsushi assumed that the other would just take the ten and go buy ice cream for them. "Mm.. chocolate." He sighed and held out a ten dollar bill to him after the other acknowledged the flavor. But- it was never taken. Atsushi blinked a few times as the brunette walked to an ice cream stand, seemed to have ordered. And then- took out his own wallet.

  Atsushi blinked. He'd been doubting the existence of the others wallet for quite a while, actually. Can you blame him? But- why? Atsushi was stuck on the idea that everybody just completely forgot his birthday. So- the thought that Dazai was doing that because of that wasn't something he thought about at all.

  He simply shoved his wallet and ten back in his pocket, scratching his ankle with his foot. Atsushi watched the brunette happily walk back over with two popsicles. One chocolate, and one blue berry. Since the ice cream person just didn't sell soft normal ice cream. "Here you go~!" Dazai chimed and handed the chocolate one to him. Dazai... actually paid for something for once. That's a scary ass thought wtf—

  "Uhm- thank you." Atsushi was obvious surprised. He'd messed up his tie and collar, having adjusted it because it was so hot. He began to eat his popsicle.

  "Mhm!" Dazai took a few licks of his popsicle as they walked. "So, what do you think?" He asked with a smile. "Should I try drowning myself again?"

  "No." Atsushi replied instantly with a huff.

  "Haaaa? You're supposed to be supportive of me, Atsushiiii!" Dazai groaned, crossing his arms with a huff as he took a bite from his popsicle, hissing because front teeth. Gums cold. Very ouch.

  "O-oh-!! Are you ok!?" Atsushi asked quickly. For Atsushi... whenever he himself did that it was a lot worse than how it felt for others. His teeth and gums were sensitive and it caused him immense pain when biting into something cold like that.