𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈.

Start from the beginning

By they, of course, she pertained to herself and Aleksander. The man who does not seem to stray too far from her thoughts. Everyone still mistrusts him, but if they could only see even a part of Aleksander that he freely shows to her, they would know that there was nothing to fear. 

He was a Shadow Summoner, yes. A Shadow Summoner who only wishes to protect all of Ravka, who would give his life to save another Grisha's. The reckless man who had stabbed himself in an effort to show her the full extent of her power. The man who had shown himself an amplifier, trusting her and granting her everything. 

Then again, he was also the man who had ignored her all this time. 

Sighing, she looked back at the lion, who seemed to sense her stare, meeting her eyes. "I don't suppose you have any advice for me, do you?" 

"Do my eyes deceive me or are you talking to a lion?" An amused voice called out from behind her. 

Smiling wistfully, Irina turned around. "I thought you were busy with the Grisha sanctuary."

"I thought you were busy planning the ball for Sankt Nikolai." Aleksander retorted, moving beside her to gaze at what she was looking at. 

"Touche." She looked away, staring once again at the lion. "You know it's hard to believe that these Saints we celebrate were once like us too. Grisha. What do you think separates them from ordinary Grisha, how difficult is it to cross the line to Sainthood?"

"Planning to be a Saint?" He teased, his quartz eyes twinkling in fascination.

She shook her head, smiling. She decided to go along with his playful antics. "Not exactly. I don't exactly fancy becoming a martyr but it would be nice to have a ball held in my honor. Sankta Irina. What about you, Aleks?" 

"Sainthood hasn't exactly been in the cards for me. Not for the descendant of the Black Heretic." He said bitterly. 

"You cannot live the rest of your life hindered by your ancestor's legacy." She sighed, placing a hand on his arm and feeling the familiar surge of power. "You're making Grisha safe, that's all that matters." 

"Yes, I suppose that is correct." He said, though his tone didn't exactly say that he agreed with her. 

Irina paused, feeling waves of power coming to her. Taking her hand off Aleksander's arm, she breathed slowly, still feeling power. "Do you feel that?" 

"Feel what?" Aleksander raised a brow in question. 

"The lion. There's something, I don't know what it is but I have this strong sense of longing as if I too am caged. Does that make sense?" She said, wringing her hands together frustratedly. 

He looked confused for a few moments until he finally realized, his eyes widening as he did so. "An amplifier?"

"I don't know." She replied, looking back at the lion who seemed to be speaking to her. Asking her to set it free. 

At that, Aleksander looked at her, taking her hands gently in his. As soft as the wind itself, he leaned in, whispering. "You have to get it, Irina. That power is being presented to you on a platter. There is nothing more to be done than to take it." 

"Take it? I can't just take it. What if it isn't really an amplifier and I will be taking a life of a majestic creature for no reason?" Irina worried, looking up at him. 

She could see the belief in his eyes, as well as the frustration, the longing, and even agony. She had never seen such a wider range of emotions in anyone before. 

He spun her around to face the lion, his chest pressing against her back. She could feel his heart pattering in his chest, as hers did. The warmth from his body mingled with her own, his cloak encircling them both.