one

"Tyler, come meet your new brother" 

The four year old who had been anxiously waiting in the hallway with his grandparents was finally led into the blinding white hospital room by his father. He reaches the bed where his mother laid in holding, what seemed to him, to be a bundle of cloth. Confused, he looked up at his father for help. Eventually, he caught on, and lifted up the small child onto the free space of the hospital bed. The mother smiled and motioned for him to come closer to the bundles she was holding in her arms so tightly. Peeling back some of the white cloth, the boy had finally seen what his mother referred to as his "new brother". 

There, Tyler saw one of the strangest creatures he's ever seen in his life. 

It was so small and didn't even have its eyes open. To Tyler, it seemed like it just sat there, depending on everyone else around it to provide for it. 

'Is this how I was?', Tyler thinks. 

"Don't be shy Tyler, come closer," his mom urges. 

Tyler inches himself closer to the bundled child and stares at it, trying to figure out if it had some secret power that it was hiding from everyone. 

'It can't be completely useless, right?'

However, as his thoughts were racing around in his mind, he suddenly feels a pull on one of his fingers. Glancing down at his hand, he notices that there was a small hand wrapped around his pointer finger. He then shifts his gaze to its face. 

'Is this a trap?'

Just as that thought passes his mind, the baby opens its eyes for the first time, and instantly looks straight into Tyler's. 

Even though this wasn't the trap that Tyler expected, it still was a trap. At the very moment that Tyler locked eyes with his brother's bright blue ones, his heart melted. That was the day where he promised himself to be the best older brother he could ever be. 

There was then a sudden flash of light, which came from his father's direction. That's when he noticed that everyone had witnessed this moment and were all tearing up. Later on, that photo would be placed in a photo book labelled, "Tyler and Tommy's first moments as brothers."

~~

"TY TY!"

The nine year old's door was pushed open abruptly by his four year old brother, Tommy. 

"Yeah Toms?", Tyler says, turning away from his computer to face his brother. 

"Whatcha doing?"

Tyler playfully tossed his eyes at the comment. It wasn't unusual for Tommy to do this type of thing. Barging in his room and asking questions. However, it was somewhat endearing for Tyler to know that his younger brother was interested in his own life. 

"I'm just playing on my computer Toms", Tyler notices an instant frown that covered Tommy's face after he said that. 

"C... compu... co..."

"It's a computer Tommy. Ya know, like technology?" 

"Te... Tech..."

"Tommy, sound it out, Tech-nol-o-gy"

"Tech... Techno"

"What? No Tommy it's-"

The four year old burst into giggles, making the older sigh, confused on what he could possibly be laughing about. Suddenly, between laughs, Tommy points a finger at Tyler saying, "Techno!". Tyler was totally lost as his brother, once again, bursts out in laughter.