Beginnings of Truth

Start from the beginning

活。 别怪自己。 The words played through Lan Huan's head, like a mantra. Somehow, it kept him calm, it kept him grounded. Knowing that at least one person he'd loved, other than Wangji, had truly cared. Even if the person was long dead and gone. 'I wish I was the one dead. ' "Jin Guangyao, " he gritted out, stepping before the man he'd once trusted and loved.  I'm sorry, Wangji. I've wronged you so much.. "Let young master Jin go. Take me instead , if you will."

Wangji's eyes widened, and he mouthed one thing. "No."

Sneering, something like hurt flashed in Meng Yao's eyes. "I'd never hurt Ge." As if to further prove his point, he loosened his grip on Jin Ling, carefully inching his knife away from his nephew's throat. But why? Why in the world did he always spare him? Questions resounded in Lan Huan's head endlessly, questions he knew he'd never get the answers. His heart softened at his brother's voice, but his head plagued him with questions, trailing off into nothingness.

"He's. Not. Your. Ge." Lan Wangji's voice enunciated each word perfectly and fiercely, eyes flashing in anger. Staring at his brother, Lan Huan couldn't help swelling with pride, but somehow, dispirited. No, he was wistful, of how things could have been. But the things that could happen, the if onlys, were just that. If only. They'd never happen. 

Thump. Thump. Thump. Footsteps reverberated across the temple. Muffled voices could be heard, signifying a large bunch. Meng Yao's heartbeat quickened, and his hands started trembling. Shit. Shit. No one was meant to be here! I'm certain I put up the darn wards. He turned to a grinning Wei Wuxian accusingly. Finally. Eyes sparkling with dark mischief, the innovative Yiling Laozu grinned, replying with an infuriating, "Wards were meant to be broken."

Just as Meng Yao thought he had them under his fingers, Wei Wuxian was busy inconspicuously taking down the wards, and Lan Wangji had managed to send for reinforcements . If only Sect Leader Jin weren't so impatient , so caught up in overpowering them, he'd have seen the blue and white flash of clouds earlier, and the miniscule hand movements Wei Wuxian had sent to Lan Wangji. After all, he'd played minimal role in calming thir dear friend down. If he'd listened any harder, he'd have realized the tunes Wei Wuxian played were not of binding, but of release. So much for being an evil genius.... Smirking, the infamous Yiling Laozu lit up a shimmering black talisman, and flicked it towards Jin Guangyao.

Dozens of ants crept up the older Jin, and he could feel himself slowly losing control of his body. Fear swarmed him, but he found that the only part of him he could move was his mouth.  "Yi...Ling....Laozu...What the....hell....have you....done to....me?"

Again, Wei Ying's crimson eyes darkened and glowed. This time, it was simmering with resentment, and he was livid. After all, he found no reason to be kind to him. He pulled a grotesque smile. "Wouldn't you like to know?" His voice dripped in derisive honey, and he shot daggers at the short toad before him, leaning forward to free his own nephew from the disgraced 'master'. Jin Guangyao became nothing more than a marionette, watching in numb horror as his limbs were moved away. The door swung open almost dramatically, and a giant sea of blue and white swishes entered the room, guided by...

"Just what in the world happened?" Lan Qiren's droning, wheezing shout echoed across the room, and the face of a bewildered and angry Lan Qiren met with the sight of a disheveled Chief Cultivator Jin, who was holding the air at knife point, partially frozen, with an unreadable expression, as well as his beloved eldest nephew he hadn't seen for days, with him being kidnapped and all. Great. Ah yes, and lest I forget, his most precious treasure, grasping Wei Wuxian, the tragic Yiling Laozu's hand, as if there was no tomorrow, Young mistress-no, Young Master Jin, half out of his endearing uncle's arms, presumably the one held at knifepoint. His eyes almost popped out of their sockets.

Blankly, he snapped his head back and forth, before managing, "What in the name of Hell just happened?" Normally, he hated swearing, but even the stoically rigid Lan Qiren had limits. Suppressing his nerves from twitching, preparing for what was likely either a colossal headache or emotional meltdown later. 

Wei Ying's eyes gleamed mysteriously. Grinning, he freed his hand from his lover's grasp, flexed his slender fingers, and slivers of charcoal-grey shadows swarmed through his palms, gathering. Seeking his soulmate, his eyes softened before shutting. Bringing his palms to his chest, he summoned, and waves of resentful energy, unclean and impure drifted to him, like moths drawn to a flame. The Juniors watched on, transfixed, while Meng Yao looked on in disbelief. For once, even the rigid Old Master Lan was rendered speechless.

Furrowing his brow, he concentrated, and the misty, charcoal grey swathes folded into themselves, before blinding the temple with light

-----------------------------------

A/N: 1620 words! Sorry for the long wait, I've an exam coming up soon! How are you guys? I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Oh, and Happy Friendship Day!