01. the enigma at hand

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, yeah," The girl grumbled, putting on her cap as he pushed himself off the wall and fell into step beside her. "Whatever."

"Heard the Sloan's were slagging you off the other day." Will began, his hands in his pockets as they walked.

"Yeah, I dealt with it." Clara dismissed.

"As much as I'd love to agree, James said you shagged him by the cut."

Clara stopped in her tracks. She let out a deep sigh before continuing on, with an incredulous looking Will.

"So...what are you going to do?" The boy questioned, his arm slinging around her shoulder. Clara merely tilted her head with a laugh causing the boy beside her to grimace.

"Oh, I really don't like the sound of that laugh."

"LIGHT IT UP, WILL!"

It was later in the day and the two had managed to get their hands on all of the books and belongings the Sloan brothers kept within the school. A few bribes here and there with fellow students and people were more than willing to give the pair the information they craved.

Clara stood in front of the pile of books and bags— of all which inscribed with the name 'Sloan', while Will ceremoniously dropped a match onto the pile, flames licking every inch of the bundles.

"There's something so great about watching something you don't like burn." She stonily remarked, tossing another Sloan belonging into the fire.

"Always knew you were a pyromaniac." Will shrugged in amusement, watching as the fire sparked.

"I wouldn't say pyromaniac..."

"Would fightin' them not just be easier?" Will questioned, waving the smoke away from him.

"Nah, this is more effective. You see, their father's been coming around the shop lately, placing large bets. John once told me that anyone who places larger bets than usual on the horses has either gone mad or skint." Clara shrugged, as Will pulled out a box of cigarettes, offering her one whilst he lit his on the open fire.

"If they're skint, they can't replace half of this stuff and will eventually come crawling back to place even bigger bets on horses or they'll be forced to take a 'loan' from the blinders— a loan which they won't get because my brothers may be a bit thick but they don't deal with idiots."

"Oh, you're evil, Shelby." Will chuckled.

"And don't you know it." The girl grinned mischievously, taking a puff from the cigarette.

The two watched as the piles slowly reduced to ash, cynical and successful smiles plastered across each of their faces. If there was a pair not to mess with it would be Clara Shelby and Will Clarke. The childhood best friends had been a menace to the people of Small Heath for as long as they could walk. The two were almost inseparable, their friendship persevering through the years.

They were a force to be reckoned with, one that often went untested by most.

The two watched as the fire crackled and sparked, but their moment of serenity was interrupted as a loud, angry yell sliced through the silence, causing both, Clara and Will, to turn in their spots.