Chapter Twelve

Depuis le début

***

The assholes showed them 'live footage'. They were filming the new Victor's fresh out of surgery, talking to their doctors, the nurses, the stylists. Johanna would bet money on that they were wearing makeup. Kids in an artificial coma with makeup just so others could look at them.

Johanna had left the room then. She remembered coming home, being hugged and there were so many tears. Over the following two weeks, she forced herself to watch everything they aired. She remembered seeing herself on a hospital bed. It had been strange. Watching it all had been, but there was something so wrong about seeing yourself unconscious and hurt. It was a moment not meant to be captured by a camera.

Of course, shortly after that had been the least of her worries, but it never failed to anger her.

Fresh air didn't help; the balcony was small and beneath her, she heard the loud voices of the people setting up the ridiculous fireworks. All they were talking about were the new Victor's.

She was already on edge when she was ushered inside to watch the fireworks with all the guests. At least that meant the night was finally coming to an end.

Everyone was already gathered at the large windows. Excited hums ran through the room, the music had cut off and somehow that was even more terrible. There were hushed whispers, meant to be shared between just a few people. Loud and drunk chatter and laughter. The thin atmosphere of 'party' had been broken.

Johanna found a spot with fewer people near the end of the window. The sight was blocked by a few trees and the curtain that wasn't pinned to the wall anymore. She didn't care. She didn't care about their stupid fucking fireworks or this stupid party.

She stood behind a handful of people, most were quiet in their anticipation. Johanna just wanted this to be over with, but a few kept talking and giggling. Her eyes followed the noise, only to find Odette smiling at a man, his arm around her waist as he whispered something in her ear.

She wanted to storm off right then. Was she seriously doing this? With some Capitol fool, nonetheless. Johanna was nearly seething, not certain who she was really upset with.

The lights dimmed, soft gasps rising through the crowd. Her eyes stayed fixed on the duo before her. She couldn't help but notice how Odette stepped out of his embrace once he turned his attention to the sky.

Inside, the loud noise was muffled, the bang before the colors almost not frightening. It still sounded eerily similair to the cannons.

She'd never liked fireworks. Blue and pink and green explosions in the sky, but who cares. It was a waste of money, time, and resources. Johanna just wanted to go home. She had trouble keeping her eyes on the sky. They kept drifting back to Odette. Her dark hair was beginning to spring back in its waves near her face. One strap had dropped from her shoulder, but she'd stopped pulling it back up. Her arms were crossed, grabbing the other as if she was cold. From her spot, Johanna couldn't see it, but she knew her dark lipstick was creased and perhaps a bit smudged by now. That was her favorite look, partly because it meant they were going to kiss soon, and partly because there was something so wrong about Odette looking like she belonged in the Capitol.

Johanna wanted to say something. She was looking for the right words to begin what may turn out to be an apology for... well, everything. Words had never been her strong suit. It had never mattered before, because Odette wouldn't wait for her to string words together. She said all the right things and was content with whatever Johanna felt like giving. It seemed like that wasn't going to happen this time.

The man beside her leaned in closer, his face still turned towards the window. He whispered something to Odette, who offered him her best fake smile. His arms closed around her waist again, he turned to face her, continued speaking. Odette's smile faltered, which was a rarety. She picked it up just as quickly, but Johanna knew she was looking for a way out.